Aqua Lung Kea Mask + Slap Strap Velcro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoxTrot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

First, I tried to search to come up with some help but couldn't find anything relating to my question.

Hope this isn't too newbish... but hey, I am a newb.

I have the Aqua Lung Kea mask, has locks on the sides to keep the strap from loosening. My question is, how do I remove the original strap? I push in the locks, pull it to the end, but it gets caught up on the larger end, which im sure was put there so it won't come out of the mask. I can't seem to get the end pushed through the lock no matter what I have tried so far. Is there any trick to doing this? I thought about trying to take the little roller/pin out of the bottom of the lock/loop but I don't want to break it or the mask.

The reason I'm trying to do this is to replace it with a slap strap.

I know I could just cut it to get it off but If I can i'd like to preserve it in case I ever need a back up for some reason or maybe in case someone else does.

TIA for any help! :D

I cut mine. You can probably shave or cut the extra thickness enough to pull the strap through. If you're thinking backup, think about how hard it's been to pull it out...now think about how hard it will be to put it back on! :wink:

Yea I guess that could be a pain to put back in also for use as a backup, and I have two slap straps lol. I guess i'm a packrat and just have trouble throwing things out if I can somehow see a future use for something, even if only a remote possibility.

I was able to get the strap out of my wife's Aqua Lung Tyke mask (same mechanism, I think) so I could install a good neoprene strap, but it was a PITA. Mostly brute force. I probably should have just cut it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom