APV Evolution! is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
And Joe, why aren't you sleeping?

working nights.. bedtime is still another 5 hours away..

"What bothers me is what isn't available: loop drains and scrubber time."

Except for a few drops, I don't get water in my loop on my Inspiration. Why the extra failure point for a loop drain?

If 2 hours is not long enough, then just go with the larger Inspiration with the new enhanced electronics. Think of it as two models, the Evolution and the Inspiration. Pick based on your needs.

CcrBoy:
"What bothers me is what isn't available: loop drains and scrubber time."

Except for a few drops, I don't get water in my loop on my Inspiration. Why the extra failure point for a loop drain?

If 2 hours is not long enough, then just go with the larger Inspiration with the new enhanced electronics. Think of it as two models, the Evolution and the Inspiration. Pick based on your needs.

Properly engineered loop drains aren;t necessarily another failure point.. lets face it SH*T happens.. You might do 1000 dives without the need for a loop drain but if you needed it on dive #1001, you would be glad its there.. The more you push the limits the more important contingency plans must be in place..
I have lost count on how many dives and how much time I have on an Inpiration but I have had ONE dive where a drain would have been a wonderful thing.. Obviously I managed wihout one..

The best example that comes to mind of having options was a dive I did with a guy on the CIS, he was having a problem with his adv leaking and the only way to tighten it is to have the exhale hose OFF.. he switched to OC disconnected his exhale hose (and flooded his cannister) tightened the ADV, reconnected and evacuated the loop.. no need to surface to fix his problem..

CcrBoy,
good for you that your loop hasn't partially flooded yet, hope it never will.
But there is always a chance, so I rather have the drains.
The thread asks if the Evolution is worth it. I don't think so, just my opinion.
I do look at them as two models, and of the two I think the Inspiration is the better one just because of the scrubber duration and the amount of onboard gas.
But my post was questioning the claimed greatness of the Evolution, to which that guy has yet to reply and for which he has yet to make a good argument.

I agree you should pick based on your needs, whatever they may be. Joe pretty much hit the nail on the head with his "traveling person's rig" description. So if that's your need the Evo will fit.

Back
Top Bottom