April diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I will be out in SF in the middle of April and was thinking maybe I could do some diving. What's the water temp and conditions around that time? I dive wet.

Thanks.

-Ken

Ack. I think that might be too cold for me. I wear a 5mm in tropical waters!

Maybe and maybe not. I wear a 5mm tropical too if the water's colder than 80˚. But a 2-piece 7mm farmer john or even a 7mm jumpsuit with 7mm hooded vest has been comfortable here for me in April/May, our cold months when it can get down to 44-46˚. Getting used to the additional weight and bouyancy issues with that much neoprene does take a bit of practice, but the locals here are friendly and helpful.

Ok, then, who's going diving with me? ;-)

Really, any recommendation for some diving between April 14-20? I know nothing of what's out there.

Ok, then, who's going diving with me? ;-)

Really, any recommendation for some diving between April 14-20? I know nothing of what's out there.

Shore or boat? Weekday or Weekend? There's a tremendous wealth of options around here.

This would be a good starting read no matter what...
New Monterey Diver Information

OOOh, that's the weekend of the Ab opener, I'm hoping to be camping/diving that weekend if I don't have a Sharks playoff game to attend (fingers crossed) else I'd offer to go with you.
Hey, if I'm not camping and the hockey game is at night I could take you in the morning, look me up closer to the date.

If your going to visit Monterey and want to dive you might consider visiting one of the dive shops to get set up with the gear you need to dive in our waters. You can also hire a DM to take you our. I strongly suggest this if you have no cold water experiance.

Thanks, everyone. All great info. I have all my own gear except for tanks, including cold water wet gear. But all this may be too much to think about just for one day of diving while on a little vaca out there. I'll look into the dive shops and such.

Maybe freediving since less gear required. The visibility is normally around 10' north of the Golden Gate. April 1, 2008 was 30'. SCUBA diving is over 2 hours south from San Francisco to Monterey . Freediving is 2hr north of SF. 4-7mm booties/socks, 4-7mm gloves, 7mm Farmer John or 3mm shorty/hooded vest with 5mm Farmer John, 18-24lbs of lead depending on wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom