April 23, 2009 Denniston Park (Esquimalt) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just me, but I am getting the impression that there seemed to be more fish around in 2008 than what we're seeing so far in 2009. I noted in your pictures that you only captured one or two different rockfish in your shots. We had a similar shortage of fish during our Furry Creek dive. Last week we did Snake Island wall and the Saskatchewan. Again, noticeably fewer fish, at least in the Snake Island wall. It also seems to me Whytecliff has less rockfish, lingcod and kelp greenlings than last year. Is it just me?

Very cool shots of the otter :cool3:

I saw a 2-3 dozen coppers, and quillbacks in <30 minutes at Whytecliff today, I wouldn't say I've been seeing fewer fish lately. Though I haven't seen a really big ling for a bit, but quite a few smaller ones.

Maybe it's just me, but I am getting the impression that there seemed to be more fish around in 2008 than what we're seeing so far in 2009. I noted in your pictures that you only captured one or two different rockfish in your shots. We had a similar shortage of fish during our Furry Creek dive. Last week we did Snake Island wall and the Saskatchewan. Again, noticeably fewer fish, at least in the Snake Island wall. It also seems to me Whytecliff has less rockfish, lingcod and kelp greenlings than last year. Is it just me?

Very cool shots of the otter :cool3:

There aren't a whole lot of fish at that dive site. It's pretty shallow (less than 30 feet). I notice that over the years, the amount of fish I see a various dive sites fluctuates, but sometimes I see more than I used to. At my most recent Clover Point dive I saw more fish than anywhere else. Sometimes the schooling rockfish (at Ogden Point for example) are all hidden between the boulders and at other times, they're schooling in the thousands and much more obvious.

Its probably a combination of me not paying enough attention and not being on the right place at the right time. I'm glad it seems to be just me.

Back
Top Bottom