Approximate Weight of Your Warm Water Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like the title says, what is the approximate weight of your warm water rig? Why do I care? I plan to do a good bit of shore diving and I am a little concerned about carrying the weight longer distances. I have a moderate back problem and I want to experiment during the work week by working up to carrying equivalent weight to and from my car.

I have a BP/W rig I'm putting together, and I'm guessing my rig will weigh ~40 lbs out of water.

Thanks folks.

--
David

I think a full AL 80 is 38 or 39 lbs. So bp or weights, reg, bc, and miscellaneous gear I'd say 50#.

I think a full AL 80 is 38 or 39 lbs. So bp or weights, reg, bc, and miscellaneous gear I'd say 50#.

Yup. Assuming an AL80, full setup, and an “average” amount of weight (whatever that amount might be)...you’re looking at closer to 50lbs than 40lbs.

Ex. My setup in warm-ish freshwater...diving 5mm, AL80, and softplate for my BP/W...I needed 18lbs or so. That likely put my setup closer to 60lbs.

As @runsongas threw out there...I’d consider trying a smaller tank.

Interesting. I see that most AL 80s are around 31.5 lbs empty. Does filling them really add another 7 lbs or so?

Thanks.

David

I am a little concerned about carrying the weight longer distances.
I have this long-simmering back burner project that requires me to carry more weight than I might desire. My favorite REI guru (who sold me a superb hiking backpack) showed me how to keep the weight off my spine and put it onto my hips.

May work for you, worth a try...

Hard to get it much below 60lb with an AL80. I use more weight and carry a buoy and reel and flashlight and I'm well above that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom