Appropriate pairings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it's a very cool feeling having your son along side you seeing all the "stuff" nature has in the U/W world.
IMG_0415.jpg

My son and I aboard Narcosis a month ago or so preparing for our 2nd dive.

First off I want to thank everyone for your contributions, it is much appreciated. I had not yet responded again since receiving a lot of new feedback because I was in Monterey getting my Deep and Search & Recovery certifications. I learned a lot and had 6 great dives, leaving me one dive short of my 100 dive milestone. Next time...

I think it is possible that there may be some misinterpretation as to my original post with the combination of starting my DM and being jazzed about my son wanting to start diving.

First off, I am "jazzed" about my son wanting to dive. That really has nothing to do with my DMC other than this original question. I sincerely hope he develops the passion that I have found with diving. If he does, we have much to look forward to. If not, we still have much to look forward to, just not under water.

I did post this because "I" was questioning the appropriateness of me being involved in his certification. I don't really think it is. The CD could talk me into it, but I would have my concerns, and do.

However many certifications a DMC is involved with, before becoming a DM, is really besides the point. Doesn't every DM have a first? I would much prefer that if I was assisting in this scenario that it would NOT be my first, for many of the reasons cited.

I know there are constant discussions and arguments about standards. I believe that much of the discussions here, and then presented at the agency level, has raised some standards with PADI for Open Water certification. That can't be a bad thing.

I do though have to ask Jim, what agency did you do your DM with? You assisted with 75 certifications before you were officially a DM? Why was that? I ask that not saying it is a bad thing. With that much experience, I am sure you were an excellent DM. What was the actual requirement by your agency?

I personally wouldn't do it.

For one thing, you will not be able to function as a DM the same way you would if the entire class were strangers. You WILL be paying attention to your son when you shoul be paying attention to someone else.

For another thing, it will be hard for your son to ignore your presence and focus on the people who are trying to teach him.

Find someone you truly trust, and let them do it. Then enjoy diving with your son!

My DM was thru PADI. I honestly don't remember what the requirements were for DM internship as required by PADI and frankly didn't care. My instructor felt that the best way to learn was to actually intern for as many classes as possible. And not just OW. I interned on AOW, Nav, Deep, Rescue, and spent close to a hundred hours in the pool working with classes, and on my own skills in addition to OW dives. DM is and should not be another cert. It also should be selective and weed out divers not ready for it. Whether physically, emotionally, or mentally. And clearly from what I see at many training sites it does not. My feelings are a DM should intern with at least four real OW classes, two AOW, and a couple rescue classes. They should spend time working on their own skills so that they can take any bc, no matter the size, and within a few minutes get neutral and horizontal. They should be able to take over any part of the lecture or pool session should an instructor ask them to. The DM's for SEI have to do this. And they should be comfortable in any conditions that might be encountered in OW where they might dive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I did my AOW with a husband and wife and we were taught by their daughter.

long story short.... family domestic ensured on the surface in the middle of the night dive. yay!

Other than that it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't over think it, as long as the instructor knows and is happy to proceed.

Nice! Diving is an awesome bonding experience, and will only build on your existing communication, trust and confidence levels.

Assisting on his course should be fine as long as you don't give him any special/different treatment compared to the other students. You are obviously (quite rightly) super excited to get him diving, but try not to smother him with info or interfere in the course if possible- and save any questions or additional advice/experience you have to add til after his sessions. You sound like you are at the level of training - and sensible enough - not to do this anyway. However it is fairly common for family members and partners who are already certified to be a bit over enthusiastic in training sessions, which can disrupt training sessions and undermine the instructor, which could have impacts not just for your son but for the other students on the course.

Hope he enjoys the course and you enjoy some amazing dives together :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom