Appropriate Exposure Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started out with a 3 mil wetsuit and a drysuit, and that worked fine for me for a couple of years. Then, because I was going to be doing some prolonged immersion in 75 degree water, I bought a 5 mil suit with wrist and ankle seals -- not really a semi-dry, but kind of a reduced flow wetsuit. The dives I thought were comfortable in the 3 mil are noticeably more comfortable in the 5 mil, and I have yet to get too hot anywhere. The 5 mil isn't a lot heavier, and isn't at all more difficult to get into (because it's got a sort of non-stick lining). I think a 5 mil is a very versatile suit. If the water's too cold for that, I'm going dry.

I'm going to echo some earlier comments as I am currently researching dry suits myself and am leaning towards a DUI CLX450. I started with 7mm full suit and 7mm core warmer. I bought a 3mm for warm water dives (mostly when I'm travelling). I'm finding that if it's too cold for a 3mm, I will probably want to dive dry but I can't say for sure, as I haven't dove dry yet. Even in summer, it is cold (~50F) at depth on the Lake Ontario wrecks. I think my warmer wetsuit will not get used much once I get a dry suit, so I am certainly out a fair bit of money that could have been about 1/3 - 1/4 of the drysuit cost. I don't consider it a total loss as it was more affordable at the time and did the job.

I would think in most cases, that a 3-5mm for warmer dives and a drysuit everything else is the way to go. My wife uses 5mm even in warm water as she is NEVER warm.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be getting a rashie and shorts for really tropical dives (especially shallow/short ones). A 5mm wettie should handle all my other warm water diving (say over 20C) and a drysuit should cover everything else.

The Whites Fusion looks very interesting although it still seems to be fairly new which is a bit of a concern. The DUI 350 looks great. Not cheap, but I'm guessing it's worth the cost. I'm still looking at other options and will check out some more threads on drysuits to find out some more.

Many thanks for all fo the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom