appreciation from colorado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amyandbrodie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help i recently got looking into dive opportunities in your state. I see now how naive my questions were (Where do I go?).
Nobody treated me like a moron or rudely - I appreciate that. I see now how frequently my same questions are asked by others. You must get sick of the redundancy.

Anyway, we're heading to your state in April and really looking forward to it. Will spend a few days in Sarasota with relatives (sneaking in a shark tooth dive) before heading to Key Largo for a few days of family time and some diving in the shallow reefs. From what i glean from previous posts, the shore diving is nothing to dance about (Correct?) and the reefs are a few miles off shore.

So thanks again for the hospitality. If anybody is ever coming to Colorado and wants ski or backcountry info, I'm your guy.

Happy Diving!

BTW - great discussion board!

amyandbrodie:
Hello everyone,
From what i glean from previous posts, the shore diving is nothing to dance about (Correct?) and the reefs are a few miles off shore.

There is NO shore diving off the keys that I'm aware of unless you enjoy looking at rocks, sand, and weeds. I guess one could dive off Penekampe, but my very limited snorkeling experience there would indicate that it's not worth it.

Enjoy the trip. FL is one of our favorite spots, and we may end up living as we have been doinging the CO mounting thing for well over a decade, and it maybe time for a change :D

Ron,
There are new quota limits being put into place for the State of Florida. For every person who moves in, someone has to move out. Let me know when you are ready to move so I can make some room for ya:wink:

Or the next hurricane season might take care of business too.
Moved down here from Colorado last month. I've been diving every week-end but 2 so far. I love it.

amyand brodie- Shore diving is a diferent kind of thing. You have to learn to slow down adn play with the little guys. Blenny is always around and fun to watch. There are all sorts of little guys and gals that dance about that you really have to SLOW way down to see. I have spent time on the bottom to watch a sea cucumber move about. A nice way to spend a $4.00 air fill and $4.00 in quaters is to shore dive and just pick a spot and watch.

Snorkeling is a good way to spend a DAY at the beach. I have swam out and spent hours in the water to come back and bake a little then back out. That is a great way to look for lobster prior to the season.

Eel grass is another whole community! Look at the strand and closely there are all sorts of critters to be amazed with in grass beds.

Enjoy the sea no matter what you see....

Eric

Divesherpa:
Ron,
There are new quota limits being put into place for the State of Florida. For every person who moves in, someone has to move out. Let me know when you are ready to move so I can make some room for ya:wink:

Good News! For every three people who move out of the Denver, CO area, ONE get's to move in!! I here you in population growth. I moved here in part to get out of traffic in the N.VA area. NOW I sit in traffic in CONIFER, and Denver has more than doubled in size since I moved here!

I'm not there yet, and have accumulated so much JUNK in the 12 years we've been here that moving is a rather daunting prospect... :D

amyandbrodie:
So for the non-divers in our group, if the shore diving stinks in Key Largo, what's the snorkeling like?

Skip the Pennekamp "beach" lagoon. They do have decent boat trips where you can see the usual tropicals, turtles, corals and sponges. Last year prices were around $30/person.

Where in Colorado are you from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom