Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any phone that has a USB line out will have virtually the same quality (all things being equal). This includes some galaxy phones, htc one series, iPhone 4s and up, as well as others. The USB line out allows you to attach your preferred DAC.

I used to be something of an audiophile. Not so much any more. I could quote all the numbers. After a house fire back in 78, I lost over 600 pieces of vinyl, an several pieces of electronics that would still rival what is available today. To this day I would defy anyone tries tell me that a CD is better than some of the first cut vinyl lps I owned to prove otherwise. You're barking up the wrong tree. I am not sold on the iTunes thing and still don't care if my phone is capable of whatever it is you seem to think is a selling point for the Galaxy or any other android phone. I still have the McIntosh 1900 receiver and the Thoren's turntable from then, they survived the fire. I just don't have the vinyl anymore. My point is that I really wouldn't want to think of a phone as being a part of a top end music system and I don't see a phone as being a key component of a system deserving of the quality of sound reproduction I would have if I had the $$$$ to do so. Maybe you would consider storing music on your phone for reproduction of sound, I don't, and I see no reason to depend on a $200 phone to make it happen. If I had the vinyl I lost I wouldn't even think of using a phone to depend on music reproduction. I would in fact view it as some kind of a joke.

I guess I did not make my point.
In the 60's and 70's we all had records.....which while they did have some noise if dirty, were absolutely hi def...and good recordings on lp's were better by a large margin than today's CD's--which are only 16 bit and 44 Hz...a poor sampling rate. ( think of the record with a good cartridge with a sampling rate at like 20,000 Hz :)
When the consumers got suckered into buying MP3's, and keeping their entire collection in this defective and lossy format, a person's entire music collection was of poor quality...but very portable.
With a Galaxy Note 3 android, you have the ability to carry around with you your entire music collection, in 24 bit, 96 hz audio quality, for your life.....so no matter where you go, you have perfect quality music to play--to play on whatever stereo you want.
The fact is, this system will play/source a digital 24 bit 96 hz music track, as well as could be done with a PC or Mac ...connected to a $4000 DAC, which would then run the audio signal in an analog format to mono blocks or other high end amplifiers and crazy expensive speakers...and the Note 2 may even do better than some PC's, as the interface of the SD card to the DAC, may have lower latency than many full blown computers---and it would normally be a computer that is used for source for music on the best home stereos--not a CD player, and certainly you would not want to play mp3's on these if better source was available.

This issue is a selling point to people that care enough about music, to do some research, and to do some listening to hear what sounds better. Apparently, many people really don't care about music quality....But...there is a market for high quality music, and this market is growing fast/
If you are happy with mediocre sound, Mp3's and I phones are mediocre :)

If you don't like digital reproduction....

I never said that. I just wouldn't depend on a phone to store my music. And I would in fact defy you to tell me that digitally reproduced music has the depth and the quality of sound a good old fashioned piece of vinyl does. Ask other audiophiles and see what you come up with for the answer. This is exactly why vinyl is making a comeback.

If you don't like digital reproduction....

I MUCH prefer vinyl. I lost my "Hi-Fi" equipment and vinyl to the Northridge earthquake. I get depressed listening to beats audio headsets, and sorely miss my albums.

My point about the USB line out is that it provides raw data, so quality is irrelevant.

I think someone dropped a k multiplier from his sample rates. Fail

Using any phone as source material for a high resolution audio system is like filling the tank of a Ferrari 458 with 85 Octane 20% Ethanol fuel. Garbage in - garbage out.

I still prefer the sound of high quality vinyl to most CDs, but a good digital source is very satisfying when the rest of the system is up on the task.

Naim XCD2 -> NAC 82 -> HiCap -> modified NAP 250
VPI HW-19 mk II -> Audible Illusions Modulus 3A -> various custom amplifiers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what's up with the Florida restaurants banning iphones?

Have not heard of this. I will investigate and see if the food is any good there. Sounds like my kind of place.

I feel your pain. I think about it often, some 35+ years later. I had 50 or 60 Audiophile albums, first cut, first class vinyl. It makes me want to cry. I will never be able to replace them.

I MUCH prefer vinyl. I lost my "Hi-Fi" equipment and vinyl to the Northridge earthquake. I get depressed listening to beats audio headsets, and sorely miss my albums.

My point about the USB line out is that it provides raw data, so quality is irrelevant.

One of these days I'll be able to actively listen to music again. For now, it's just a backdrop or soundtrack like everyone else. :'(

Using any phone as source material for a high resolution audio system is like filling the tank of a Ferrari 458 with 85 Octane 20% Ethanol fuel. Garbage in - garbage out.

I still prefer the sound of high quality vinyl to most CDs, but a good digital source is very satisfying when the rest of the system is up on the task.

I still like my old McIntosh 1900, I don't use it anymore but I'll be damned if I can part with it.

Back
Top Bottom