Appendectomy :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ to FLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How long after an appendectomy can I get back into diving?? I am still in pain (just got home from the hospital today) but I am just wondering what an approximate amount of down time to expect. :depressed:

2-6 weeks typically. You have to heal all the layers of the abdominal wall. The healing time is shorter for a laparoscopic procedure, ~ 1 week. Healing can be longer in overweight, moreso obese patients.There is a difference between healed and capable of sport activities, they are not the same. For diving the key is the capacity of the incision to take the pressure from carrying gear. The response of each patient differs so you need to check with the surgeon to insure all is indeed healed and tissues to near normal strength.

Get well soon!

2-6 weeks typically. You have to heal all the layers of the abdominal wall. The healing time is shorter for a laparoscopic procedure, ~ 1 week. Healing can be longer in overweight, moreso obese patients.There is a difference between healed and capable of sport activities, they are not the same. For diving the key is the capacity of the incision to take the pressure from carrying gear. The response of each patient differs so you need to check with the surgeon to insure all is indeed healed and tissues to near normal strength.

It was laparoscopic but they had to blow up my stomach with a little air I think.
Thank you Saturation, does not sound too bad. (I was hoping it was not months!)

Thanks Jenny and Val!

Hi NJ to FLA,

Yes, with a laparoscopic procedure gas would be introduced at the surgical site. This is termed insufflation.

Typically the surgeon endeavors to release the gas when the procedure is complete. If CO2 is used, any remaining amounts are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. In cases where air or nitrogen is applied, the gas could be around for about a week before it completely disappears. At 4-6 wks, this obviously isn't going to be an issue.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

As Saturation says, the big issue is abdominal wall strength, because moving gear around too early could result in hernias at the incision sites, which is at best a nuisance.

Assuming no complications, you're probably looking at a month before you'll really want to dive, and are okay to do so. But as stated, this varies with body mass, muscling, age, and comorbid conditions (diabetics heal more slowly, as do people on steroids). So your surgeon is the best person to evaluate your individual case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom