Apollo Bio Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis N

New
Reaction score
I saw recent questions regarding split fins and noted a lot of experienced responses. I have a question regarding Apollo Bio Pro split fins (yellow) that I just purchased. I tried them on with my boots and they were incredibly tight. I have the spring straps and getting my foot in and pulling the strap over my Heel seemed ridiculously hard. Removing was no easier and I wonder how it will be in the ocean when returning to the boat or fighting surge going in or exiting during beach dives. I have a size 11 boot & purchased size LL (the largest size available). I was told by the Customer Rep. that it will 1. Be easier in the water & 2 Will streach after use. Can anyone conform this to be the case. I purchased them on-line so I couldn't try them on prior to purchase. Also do Scuba pro split fins have a better fit?

Dennis N:
I saw recent questions regarding split fins and noted a lot of experienced responses. I have a question regarding Apollo Bio Pro split fins (yellow) that I just purchased. I tried them on with my boots and they were incredibly tight. I have the spring straps and getting my foot in and pulling the strap over my Heel seemed ridiculously hard. Removing was no easier and I wonder how it will be in the ocean when returning to the boat or fighting surge going in or exiting during beach dives. I have a size 11 boot & purchased size LL (the largest size available). I was told by the Customer Rep. that it will 1. Be easier in the water & 2 Will streach after use. Can anyone conform this to be the case. I purchased them on-line so I couldn't try them on prior to purchase. Also do Scuba pro split fins have a better fit?

DennisN: If your spring strap is "incredibly tight" you may be better off with the standard straps. The standard straps have more adjustment for boot style/size. Our soft natural rubber foot pocket should fit comfortably w/o strain.

Dennis N:

I have the same fins with springs. When new, there are two issues:

1. The boot will tend to stick to the foot pocket.

2. There will, over time, be some conforming of the pocket and a bit of give in the springs.

I also had, with my boots, trouble getting them off (they stuck).

I have a set of large fins and wear 11 shoes (boots), but boots very a lot.

The question for you, is, are the springs too tight. That I don't know, but over time, mine went from tight to not touching my heal. You can speed this up with a bit of lubricant on the pocket (lets the boot slip in easier).

Wayward son got me a pair of longer springs for mine, because mine were the same way. After using them for 50 or so dives, they are now way too long and I am going back to the shorter ones. Or, I could just shorten the ones I have (not hard to do).

a bit of hassel, but I love springs and the fins.. and it is well worth it. Good luck.

Use a local dive shop and you can try before you buy. One of the BIG advantages to having/using/supporting your local dive shop. If I don't support my local shop then pretty soon there is no local shop and I have no support, air fills, or place to shop and try new stuff.

I tried on the spring straps on my Biofins at my LDS and decided I like the standard straps. I find the standard straps are easy to don/doff and easy to adjust depending on which boots I choose for that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom