Apollo Bio-Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave:
Funny, I don't see how it couldn't affect a split more than a paddle fin. Have you ever looked at the videos of splits, especially the regular bio-fins, in action? If you get a chance to, I'd suggest you look at how open and angled the insdie edges of the splits are. Put sideways currents catching those exposed edges and it would seem to me that it would have to affect the split fin more, even if the overall effect isn't much to talk about (which I'm not sure we've determined yet).

It's true that the Bio fins will have a slightly larger surface area (looking from the side) when they distort during the kick.

However if you consider the total side profile area of the diver, I'd say that the additional area contribution is too small to have a significant effect. A correctly sized and streamlined BCD (not one of those huge pillow like HUB things for example), and correct weighting (so that your BCD is not over inflated) are likely to be far more important IMO.

CompuDude, and others, do you guys see any reason to -not- buy the XT's over the standard bio-fins? I am going to purchase a set here very soon (for obvious reasons - our legs are our dive boat when shore diving), and I'm trying to determine if the overall efficiency is more important than the overall speed, as it seems that even Apollo claim the originals are the most efficient. I will probably be ordering them this weekend with the spring straps.

Devil's advocate time (and you knew it was coming :14: ): The larger surface area that will be facing the cross-currents isn't totally a marginal amount, and it will be at the very end of the diver, thus giving a bit of leverage to pushing, or pivoting, the diver off-track.
In back-and-forth currents the overall effect, then, would seem to me to be offset with perhaps the loss of efficiency in forward motion that might occur from distorted split fins. However, in a pure uni-directional cross-current, that constant push from the very end of a diver on the fan-tailing splits may be more than negligible. At some extreme current speed, perhaps the overall effort to stay on course with splits would rise above that of a stiff blade fin? :06:

I promise this is my last 'scenario' about this subject. :devil_2:

Best,

MD

Mambo_Dave, ive used both the Bios and currently have the XTs. Both are great, performance wise..... trust me, efficiency and power and speed etc. its so minimal you cant tell the difference unless ure a machine.

The only obvious difference you might want to conider is that the Bios are extreeeemely pliable and easy to fin (thus you dont feel the power). The XTs on the other hand, they do feel like paddle fins, which i prefer cos... i kinda like to feel like i know i am moving.. ahha.

Just decide if you want to fin without any resistance vs. you want to FEEL the resistance. And naturally because you do feel the resistance with the XTs, you might find yourself a little tired if youre not a strong kicker.

As for the currents and stuff... once again its neglible unless your a machine. The only strongest currents which will make you feel the effects of the splits pulling you..... is when you do a shore dive and walk backwards in with the waves pulling out.

Have fun!!!

To be honest with you I`ve had my Bio-fins for a little over a year now. I can`t say to many good things about them. I`ve tried many other fins. USD Blades II, S.pro Twin Jets, Twin Speeds (descent fins) and Atomic Split fins (very good). The first two mentioned I couldn`t be more dissapointed. The Twin Jets I thought weren`t good enough. Too many holes and yes I used the black ones which is the stiffest of the family. Still didn`t like them. The BladesII. Well if you`re Arnold Schwarzeneggar then they are the perfect fin. The Atomics and Twin Speeds are good to very good. If S.pro would make the twin speeds like the twin jets they would be the hell out of them. The atomics are very good. The only thing I don`t like is the little plastics in the blades. Other than that very good fin. But, not the Bio-fin.

I couldn`t be more happier with the Bio-fins. Excellent acceleration, very good construction, you can bend them and they keep a memory. What else can I say other than they are the best.

My opinion.

I don't post very often but a discussion of Bio-fins will usually inspire me. I have over 600 logged dives on my Bio-fins. I haved used them in nearly every type of warn ocean diving you can think of. No one passes me in the currents! I remember the earlier years of using my split fins and the commments like, "Oh, they are no good in currents!". I also remember passing the same divers who made those comments, while swimming against some wicked currents at the Brothers Islands in the Red Sea!

Yes, bio-fins will work in cross currents, up currents, down currents etc. You do have to change your finning technique to use them most effectively.

Awesome, thank you all. I have a buddy who has the Bio-Fins, so if I order the XT's and don't like them, he said he'd trade me. I think that since I'm coming off of a stiff fin, I'd like the control or responsiveness offered by the stiffer XT's. I like practicing my helicopter kicks for future caving classes. :42:

Mambo Dave:
Awesome, thank you all. I have a buddy who has the Bio-Fins, so if I order the XT's and don't like them, he said he'd trade me. I think that since I'm coming off of a stiff fin, I'd like the control or responsiveness offered by the stiffer XT's. I like practicing my helicopter kicks for future caving classes.

Then you'd probably be satisfied with the XTs as i am.

Oh..... spring straps do wonders too! :wink: If the Apollo ones are too costly, go for the EZs.

I bought the full foot Bio-Fins recently. They're great! I had had a pair of Tusa split fins previously and had myself convinced that I was a paddle fin person until I tried these. A+

robbcayman:
I love my bio's!!!!

We are a fairly new dealer for Apollo....only a couple of months. We have began to move some of our customers away from other splits to the Bio-Fin, and they love them! Not only is this a premo fin, but it is distributed by a class company. Apollo understands the game and they are the real deal. Michael, the president, is a member and regular contributor to this board. He has his act together. It's FUN doing business with him. Not much in the scuba industry is fun these days, but Apollo shines a new light on the whole business. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom