Apollo Bio-Fin vs Force Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gusvs

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know this has been discussed a lot, but I have had a hard time trying to find the pros and cons of each of these. Based on reviews here and on other places, I am looking into getting one of these fins as my tropical diving fin. The problem is, I have no possibility trying them on since they are not available where I live (Sweden).

So, which fin of the two would you choose?

Thanks,

Gustaf

The FF's are lighter...and lighter is better in travel these days....in my opinion a better fin but I'm sure you will get Bio fans as well.......

both fins are great
but I definately prefer the force fins. They have the easy kicking and power that make the Apollos good, but they have and a lot more functionality. After all the Apollo Bio Fin was a rip off of Bob Evans (owner of FF) original split fin design which was the Foil Force fin.

As far as an all around fin, that packs easily, manuevers well and provides plenty of power Force Fins Original or Pros are the best things on the market.

Not to mention the 1year (Apollo) vs the Lifetime warrantee (Force Fin)

>The problem is, I have no possibility trying them on<

Fit is the most important criterion when choosing fins. There seem to be plenty of divers about admitting that their fins are killing their feet because they're too loose or too tight but that they have to wear them because all their buddies are wearing them too and they don't want to be different. Germany's Standard for swim fins (DIN 7876) focuses solely on the length and width of foot pockets. The problem is that manufacturers don't always comply with the Standard, so there's no substitute for trying fins on to determine whether they fit your feet both in terms of length and width. The alternatives are blisters or cramps.

Certainly personal preferences will apply after the fitting issue has been resolved, but don't leap to brand solutions before determining what problems you are trying to solve first. Because of variations in people's finning styles, it's very difficult to find objective scientific evidence about which fins are "best". Fins are very personal items of gear and it can be a lifetime quest to track down a pair that both fits perfectly and suits individual swimming styles. Meesier42: do you have a link I can follow to a reliable independent source confirming that "the Apollo Bio Fin was a rip off of Bob Evans (owner of FF) original split fin design"? My understanding is that the Bio Fin is a design licensed by Nature's Wing who developed the split-fin concept.

I have a pair of Bio Fins and enjoy swimming with them, not least because I'm a traditionalist and prefer fins made entirely out of natural rubber, the material used almost exclusively during the first three decades of fin manufacture when I began diving. They're also available with a full-foot fitting, which I prefer too. Force Fins are all open-heel designs made from polyurethane.

I own both Biofins, and ForceFins. Force Fins are paddle fins, and bio fins are split. I'm not saying one type is better, but they are different.

Biofins are the most comfortable fins I've found. They do most kicks well with a couple of exceptions.

Force fins are nice but the foot pockets are not nearly as comfortable as BioiFins. This will be more or less true based on foot size. Force fins are much harder then Biofins.

Using the flutter kick, BioFins will out perform any fin on the market. You can review the ScubaDiving mag results, and this has proven out for years. For tech diving, most like paddle fins as they have more traction for lack of a better term.

OK, I know this has been discussed a lot, but I have had a hard time trying to find the pros and cons of each of these. Based on reviews here and on other places, I am looking into getting one of these fins as my tropical diving fin. The problem is, I have no possibility trying them on since they are not available where I live (Sweden).

So, which fin of the two would you choose?

Thanks,

Gustaf

Gustaf, the biofins consistently receive top top reviews in Scubadiving Magazine and other reports. Within the split fin category they seem to be most praised. You would most likely be satisfied with these fins if the size is right.

The force fins on the other would be ideal for tropical diving (i.e. travel) since they are small and light. However, people seem to either love them or hate them. So if you buy a pair be prepared to sell them again if you happen to fall into the hater group. I own a pair of force fin pros which I don't like and have a hard time seeing how they could work for anything but flutter kicking but I still keep them around because I hear claims to the contrary so maybe there is something to them and I'm just using them wrong. So force fins would be the riskier choice but better if you turn out to be one of the people that loves them.

Personally I prefer basic paddle fins (Scubapro jetfins, OMS slipstreams,...) because they are better for the frogkick which I use almost exclusively instead of the flutter. Most dive masters I see in the tropics use basic paddle fins.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am leaning towards the Bio-Fin after all. What do you think about sizing? I am a US size 8 and plan to wear Henderson Insta-Dry 3 mm boots. Should I go for Small or Medium in the fins?

>Meesier42: do you have a link I can follow to a reliable independent source confirming that "the Apollo Bio Fin was a rip off of Bob Evans (owner of FF) original split fin design"? My understanding is that the Bio Fin is a design licensed by Nature's Wing who developed the split-fin concept.

I have a feeling it went something like this – Bob Evans came up with the split-fin concept as one of his many weird and wonderful designs, and that was one patent that he let slip. It was subsequently picked up, developed and successfully marketed under the Nature's Wing name to virtually all of the big players who have done split fins. Or something along those lines. Allegedly. I know Bob gets, understandably, very hot under the collar whenever it comes up in conversation...

Mark

I'm a size 8 as well and wear a 5mm bootie. I found that I was right between sizes. The medium was too large (there was too much room in the foot pocket for my liking). The small fit a bit snugly, but is nearly perfect. I think that if you're wearing 3mm, the small would be the way to go. The bio-fins are a great choice. I just switched to them (I got the yellow ones) and am absolutely in love with them. Hope that helps, cheers. I

Thanks everyone for your input. I am leaning towards the Bio-Fin after all. What do you think about sizing? I am a US size 8 and plan to wear Henderson Insta-Dry 3 mm boots. Should I go for Small or Medium in the fins?

The bio-fins have a soft all rubber oval shaped foot pocket with an open toe. With a Henderson 3mm boot it seems a small would be the correct fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom