Apollo Bio-Filter, no more dry mouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jerm

Contributor
Reaction score
Rocky Mountains.... wishing I was near some good d
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone had experiance with this new "humidifier" for your reg. http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm. Apparently the air from the tank has like .01% humidity, thus causing the dry mouth and in some cases dehydration which leads to post diving headaches. I've had that and it sucks. This device is supposed to add between 30% - 70% humidity in the air making for a more comfortable dive.

So here's my question? Is it worth it? has anyone of you used it before? I am hesistant to purchase something that could complicate my dive if it fails. How reliable is it? Just throwing this out there.

Scuba Jerm:
Has anyone had experience with this new "humidifier" for your reg. http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm. Apparently the air from the tank has like .01% humidity, thus causing the dry mouth and in some cases dehydration which leads to post diving headaches. I've had that and it sucks. This device is supposed to add between 30% - 70% humidity in the air making for a more comfortable dive.

So here's my question? Is it worth it? has anyone of you used it before? I am hesitant to purchase something that could complicate my dive if it fails. How reliable is it? Just throwing this out there.

I had the same initial concerns that you have.

I have been using one for over a year and have had no problems with it. It is really a pretty simple, well made device. In fact, I just bought a second one for my daughter who will be doing her checkout dives on Memorial Day weekend.

There is a foam core that is very solid until you soak it in distilled water. This foam core allows the moisture to be added as the air flows through it. There is also a charcoal filter to filter out any tank contaminants. If you dive Nitrox you simply remove the charcoal filter.

Hopefully this gives you an idea how the device works.

If you get drymouth, the Bio-Filter is priceless. All these people that whine about an extra failure point are spouting the usual nonsense.
I had one for about a year - the shop I get gassed at now pretty much just pumps gas so they're very good at it so I eBayed mine.
On Oahu, there were more than a few times I had drymouth - an hour-long dive seemed like it took a week. Wish I had one then.

I have seen the bio-filter fused to the first stage of a regulator,

I have seen corrision in the hoses and 2nd stages from the water (using other than distilled water)

if you get cotton mouth, drink more water before the dive

I remember a thread here a while ago pointing out that dark, damp places (e.g. inside the biofilter) are perfect environments for bacteria and other "icky" things to grow... perhaps keep that in mind, too.

It seem your guys quick satisfactory on it. I never know how good...

I got two Bio-filters. One for the SEA because it uses a 1/2" port and a standard for my Mares. I love them. Just keep it maintained like the manual says and it'll last a long time. They are a great innovation to the scuba industry.

Hzracing:
I have seen the bio-filter fused to the first stage of a regulator,

I have seen corrosion in the hoses and 2nd stages from the water (using other than distilled water)

if you get cotton mouth, drink more water before the dive

If the diver is using other than distilled water they are not following the manufacturer's directions.

If people leave the dust cap of their first stage and dunk it in water they will more than likely have problems with the first stage. Again if the diver places the "dry" dust cap firmly in place prior placing the regulator in the dunk tank they avoid the problem because they are following the manufacturer's recommendations (and the training they received in the open water training class).

KrisB:
I remember a thread here a while ago pointing out that dark, damp places (e.g. inside the biofilter) are perfect environments for bacteria and other "icky" things to grow... perhaps keep that in mind, too.

There is a very simple process to aovid this problem. After you are done diving for the day you unscrew portion the of the Bio Filter that connects to the second stage of the regulator. You remove the foam core and take it out to let it dry (per the manufacturer's instructions). I then leave the second stage disconnected until I use it again.

One side benefit of the Bio Filter is that it makes packing the regulator in my carry-on bag easier. I have a suitcase that I use as a carry-on that holds my BC, regulator. dive computer, prescription mask and snorkel, "C" card and other small items. With the second stage disconnected from the regulator it gives me more flexibility it where I put the second stage within the suitcase. As such it allows me to put more in the carry-on which reduces the amount of equipment that can get lost, damaged or destroyed by the airline.

I get some vicious dry-mouth to the point of gagging in my regulator. What I've found that works very well and is actually quite inexpensive is.... taking out the reg, letting some water in your mouth, swishing it around and spitting it back out. Even works in salt water.

Yes, their may be some nasties in the water but if you think you aren't getting those things in your mouth anyway, you're kidding yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom