Apnea wetsuits for scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks! that is a good site and information, but my shoulders just don't work like those skinny european freedivers... :D:D:D:D

:D Well, I am European and skinny so that might be why it works for me.
Still, the first time you get into a suit like that. Do it with someone around to help you out :wink:

Hi all. Still fairly new to this forum. I am transitioning back to SCUBA after freediving for past few years. I have a few freedivig suits by Elios and Marea. They are simply awesome. I have a 5mm unlined, smooth skin custom suit which I have used at Catalina in the coldest of months and was quite toasty. I use a 3mm Marea sharkskin with a mimetic pattern for use in Baja for waters in the 70s. Now, mind you, with freediving/spearfishing you generally burn more calories, but I can tell you these suits are fantastic. Very little water entry, great freedom of movement, and the unlined neoprene has amazing heat retention qualities.

I haven't used them for SCUBA yet here in California, but plan to experiment. The negatives for SCUBA would be, as mentioned, compression at depth. If I remember correctly,these suits are made of high-end Yamamoto 45 neoprene, or something very equivalent. Very spongy, but warm. SCUBA neoprene is denser. The other negative would be the difficulty of doning, especially in a multiple boat dive situation. I have to use a 50/50 solution of water and hair conditioner to slip into the suits or they will tear. When I first stating using them, I got my head stuck once for a bit while trying to pull the top down and over my head. Also, they are zipperless and have an integrated hood. The panels are glued - not stitched. The last negative is the durability. The smooth skin model catches on everything and tears easily, but boy do you feel streamlined in the water. I was thinking of using a rash guard over it for SCUBA to prevent tears from the bp harness. However, the Marea shark skin or exterior lined suits are very tough and I would not have much of a concern.

These manufacturers are extremely customer service oriented and the price of a custom suit is about the same as a mid-range SCUBA wetsuit off the rack. About $250 US, depending on what options you want - like knee pads or chest pad. Overall, these suits are excellent with respect to quality and very toasty. However, I can only imagine the looks I will get when donning a mimetic wetsuit on a SCUBA cattle boat to Catalina. But once in the water with these suits, you literally feel like a seal. So much warmer than my SCUBA wetsuits.

Check out eliossub and marea (made to measure) custom wetsuits on the net. I was not allowed to post their URLs.

Last edited:
No my "apnea" suit is made if Rubatex, GN-231N, works fine for scuba too.

Both Elios and Marea make a wetsuit from Heiwa medium density neoprene, which would not have the same compression issue at depth as would my open cell Yamamoto 45. I'm seriously considering having Elios make me an apena suit for SCUBA using this neoprene with a super stretch exterior lining for durability and open cell inside for warmth. The open cell has a suction effect against your sking which you cannot achieve with a lining. A coating (not a lining) helps to slip in and out easier without losing the "suction" effect. I would highly recommend these suits to anyone who was warmth issues, yet do not want to dive dry.

I too am interested in an apnea suit after seeing the article divernet. I like the idea but what kind of boots do you wear? I don't want frozen feet. Thanks

I too am interested in an apnea suit after seeing the article divernet. I like the idea but what kind of boots do you wear? I don't want frozen feet. Thanks

I can tell you that my 5 mm Elios apena suit is much toastier than my 7mm Pinnacle for SCUBA. How much of that warmth is attributable to increased calorie burn while freediving, i can't say. But the comfort and warmth of the 5mm is better. I haven't worn the 5mm while SCUBA because I am fearful of tears from the harness and the difficulty in donning for multiple dives.

Went SCUBA diving the other day in 6 degree celcius water for ~50 minutes with my 6,5 mm sporasub instinct cell apnea suit. Its open cell on the inside and nylon coated on the outside. I used Mares Trilastic 5+3mm gloves. Instead of my regular 5mm neopren socks, i used my 5 mm SCUBA boots ( which are soft ) and my regular SCUBA fins.

After 35 minutes in the water, my buddy signaled me, that he wanted to go back since he was cold, he was wearing a 7mm scuba suit with a 5mm shorty on top !!! And normally, when we freedive together we usually begin to get cold about the same time.

So as long as you dont have a open cell surface on the outside of the apnea suit, id use it any day above a regular scubasuit. It sits tighter to your body as well, making one feel perfectly free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom