apex atx 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Routing is another thing to think about...

I don't specifically remember with the 200 because people I dive with use 200, 100 and 50, but sometimes when I am rigging up Apeks regs on doubles, on the right post the 1/2 inch port for the primary does not line up where I would like so I use a 3/8 port for primary, so in this case, I need the adaptor to help plug the 1/2 inch hole, to size it down to 3/8 if I will use it for the inflator.

Sometimes, the 1/2 lines up nicely on the left post for drysuit, or Octo, then I need the adapter to 3/8 to use for this purpose.

Anyway, if I knew the routing on my rig allowed the use of the 1/2 inch, why not. But then again, if you are diving with folks that do not use Apeks regs, that means you have an incompatability between you and your partner, making sharing hoses potentially more difficult, or impossible if they do not have Apeks, and you lack an adapter.

I use 3/8 hoses so they can be shared by the widest audience in case of unforseen emergency...and carry a few extra adapters....

hoosier:
I am wondering if there is a difference between Apkes adapter and the adapter from hardware store. I find that the hardware store has the same adapter in SS and 3000, 4000, or 5000 psi rated.

Thanks,
I think a good quality stainless steel adapter will work, heck, even a good nickel/chrome will probably be just fine. No matter where you get it from - just remember that not all stainless is equal. Mine expose about 1/4" above the regulator body, which makes it easy to put a wrench on them. There are lower profile versions out there that I know some folks prefer but they're hard to find. I don't know that I've ever seen ones sold by Apeks, so I can't comment on them...I'm not sure how much variation is possible for such a simple piece, however. As a general rule, I'd buy ones with the highest possible psi rating.

As I read some posts, many tech divers admit that ATX200 is better in the hose routing than DS4/ATX50. But, ATX200 is pricey and shows almost the same performance. How do you think?

jagfish:
Routing is another thing to think about...

I don't specifically remember with the 200 because people I dive with use 200, 100 and 50, but sometimes when I am rigging up Apeks regs on doubles, on the right post the 1/2 inch port for the primary does not line up where I would like so I use a 3/8 port for primary, so in this case, I need the adaptor to help plug the 1/2 inch hole, to size it down to 3/8 if I will use it for the inflator.

Sometimes, the 1/2 lines up nicely on the left post for drysuit, or Octo, then I need the adapter to 3/8 to use for this purpose.

Anyway, if I knew the routing on my rig allowed the use of the 1/2 inch, why not. But then again, if you are diving with folks that do not use Apeks regs, that means you have an incompatability between you and your partner, making sharing hoses potentially more difficult, or impossible if they do not have Apeks, and you lack an adapter.

I use 3/8 hoses so they can be shared by the widest audience in case of unforseen emergency...and carry a few extra adapters....

I have the legend and atx 200 and 100 the 200 and 100 are going to be for dubs/ and h-valve set up i found some hoses and adapters in some books here and you are right i called aqualung/apexs and they do not have an adapter to send me oh well I think I will just by a couple 7's whith the 1/2 and a couple adapters just to be safe.. You can never have to much equipment anyways right lol...

8buck:
... I think I will just by a couple 7's whith the 1/2 and a couple adapters just to be safe..

I had a similar concern and got a 1/2" port plug from my LDS as a backup. In a bind, I can always plug the 1/2" port and use 3/8".

Thanks for your clarifying my issue of the genuine part. The aftermarket adapter is only a couple of bucks in SS. You are right that it is never ending story with the equipment.

8buck:
I have the legend and atx 200 and 100 the 200 and 100 are going to be for dubs/ and h-valve set up i found some hoses and adapters in some books here and you are right i called aqualung/apexs and they do not have an adapter to send me oh well I think I will just by a couple 7's whith the 1/2 and a couple adapters just to be safe.. You can never have to much equipment anyways right lol...

Dryglove:
If you are using this for a single tank set up i would run your back up hose(22" or 24") hose off of the 1/2" port and run your long hose off of the standard port next to that as the hoses route a lot cleaner that way.
This is a great idea but I can't find one anywhere. Any ideas, or do they have to be custom made?

Edit: I should've known. :) TechDivingLimited.com

reefraff:
I know some worry about the extra failure point that the adapter represents, but I don't think the risk is significant and I'd rather carry a spare adapter than spare hose.

I stopped by Extreme Exposure right after purchasing my ATX200/ATX40 setup and asked them how they'd recommend I setup the hoses. They threw on two adapters and called it a day. I figured if they're not worried about it, I shouldn't be :).

Jim

Thanks. I also read some argument that should be long length (3/4 inch), not 1/4 inch for CYA. But, I don't think it DOES matter because even shorter one is enough for the 1st stage pressure (1000~1450 psi range). And, it is only $5 each.... This guy asks $10 plus shipping though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1300&item=7147287483&rd=1

reefraff:
I think a good quality stainless steel adapter will work, heck, even a good nickel/chrome will probably be just fine. No matter where you get it from - just remember that not all stainless is equal. Mine expose about 1/4" above the regulator body, which makes it easy to put a wrench on them. There are lower profile versions out there that I know some folks prefer but they're hard to find. I don't know that I've ever seen ones sold by Apeks, so I can't comment on them...I'm not sure how much variation is possible for such a simple piece, however. As a general rule, I'd buy ones with the highest possible psi rating.

8buck:
I am looking for a long hose with a 1/2 male end for my new atx 200 any ideas can i get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter from somewhere ??????

Interestingly, not all their first stages have this aberration -- only the newer models.

I don't like the 1/2 inch hose, it's stiffer than 3/8. And if I had to quickly change regs on a dive (been there!), I would have to have separate spares for the 1/2 inch side. So I put a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer on it when I changed from the factory 1/2 inch short hose to a 3/8 inch 7 footer.

I have wondered what the rationale for the 1/2 inch hose was, more air capacity? Then the backup hose should be the same, it's as critical in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom