Apeks XTX50 twisted purge button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtsfour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i know nothing about servicing these.

Purge button still works. Is this a major oversight by the servicing tech?

EDIT: should note it was like this when i got them back from servicing I didn't notice for a while though

uizGoFV.jpg

no, just maybe a tad bit of laziness. you can unscrew the cover yourself and adjust it if you find it to be a problem

It is a cosmetic issue, but it does look better when it is aligned straight across. I've seen some technicians not worry about it and others who prefer to have it straight. I prefer it straight.

It look like the entire cover just needs to be tightened just a few more degrees.

You should maybe practice removing and replacing the cover and diaphram,,,,,maybe with supervision, in case you maybe need to do it in the wild sometime.....otherwise, looks fine. Nice regulator. Good question.

Non issue imo. Just unscrew the face plate and reinstall if it bothers you.

Just turn the face plate clockwise till it lines up. Obviously your tech doesn't suffer OCD. A rubber glove or piece of silicone helps, sometimes they can get rather tight toward the end. Better yet, get the face plate tool.

same as above, it is really tight on my XTX40 too, first time, i did it, it was not aligned, and have to force a little bit more( does not like to force with plastic case, but ..)

When they are new it requires a lot of torque to realign the cover and it is best done using the devoted tool from apeks (it goes into the recess of the purge button).
I also noted that the latest models since 2014 (yes the ones from the OP) are not very precise in the cover threads and sometime a little wear of it allow to tighten just using hands resulting in a perfectly aligned cover.
Because service was not able to tighten - and probably they have the tool - they would have fixed the alignment just rubbing a bit on the end of the threaded portion of the cover with fine sandpaper. I did it on mine just last week when I serviced it for the first time. Even with the tool I had my time to open it and I got it after putting into the sink with hot water for a couple of minutes.
Anyway is just an aesthetic issue, the second stage works perfectly well even if not aligned perfectly.
It is just my preference, but my 2nd stage should open just using hand force without any special tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom