Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Doobie Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys.
I'm looking to buy my first set of regulators and I'd love some input.
I know there are about a million of these which regulator is better threads but I can't seem to find much information/reviews on the Zeagle F8, and most of the information regarding the XTX50 is pretty old (10+ years old mostly).

Regarding the Apeks:
Are the newer models still considered as "bullet proof" as the older ones? I keep hearing about people diving on their Apeks for 15+ years but they are obviously not diving on the newer models (manufacturers tend to cheap out more and more over time).
Should I be concerned about the weight/size if they are primarily used for travel?

Regarding the Zeagle:
There seems to be very little information/reviews on this regulator but everything I've seen makes me think it could be just as good if not better than the Apeks. I like the idea of having a lighter/smaller regulator for travel but I'm more concerned with durability/longevity and being able to grow into it.

About me:
I do mostly warm water diving on vacation but I live in Ohio and would like to start doing some quarry diving and eventually learn more technical stuff. I'm not really sure that I need anything cold water rated because I don't know that I'll dive anything under 40 degrees but I do like the idea of having an environmentally sealed regulator. Are these regulators overkill for me? Should I just look into something cheaper?

I'd love to hear any feedback on either of these regulators. If anybody has dived with a Zeagle F8 and newer Apeks XTX50 I'd love to hear which you prefer and why. Does anybody have any other suggestions of regulators to throw into the mix that would be comparable?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

the f8 does not have a turret, which means the hose routing is less ideal in some situations than a DST with fifth port. otherwise performance will be good for both.

if you want to save some money, look at the taiwanese made regs that are inspired by the DST from dive rite, hog, deep 6.

There is very little difference save cosmetic between the Pre and post 2013 XTX50 second stages. They did beef up the case somewhat where the barrel fits on the jam nut end. The first stages save doing away with the silly 1/2" primary port have in the main, not changed. They have added a 5th port option on the FSR and DST, not sure if they did the same to the FST.

There are still simple, reliable and great performers. I'd go Apeks but then I've been diving them on and off for many years and have never had an issue. Go Apeks...

Last edited:
the f8 does not have a turret, which means the hose routing is less ideal in some situations than a DST with fifth port

I'm not really sure I like the idea of the turret. I've heard it is just another potential failure point but I do really want to have 2 hp ports so I can eventually upgrade to an AI computer.

I've read that the first stage of the zeagle is way smaller and I wouldn't need to worry about hitting my head on it...(not sure if this is really a concern but a small reg sounds better).

They have added a 5th port option on the FSR and DST

I do really like the idea of being able to add a fifth port later if I need it. I don't need it right now and to be honest I'm not really sure what you need 5 for (I have a lot to learn about advanced rigs).

For single tank back mount If you use a long hose 5'/7' or 40" primary the usage of the 5th port routes the hose a tad nicer but works fine without it too.

if you want to save some money, look at the taiwanese made regs that are inspired by the DST from dive rite, hog, deep 6.

I don't know much about any of these regulator brands but I imagine they are a lot harder to get serviced? I'm definitely up for learning to service my own regs eventually but for now I intend to get the regs serviced regularly to keep the parts for life plan.

I'd also like to support my LDS and I can get 15% off anyway.

1. The turret on DST is NOT another potential failure point. Mine never failed over 15yrs of use.
2. AI is NOT an upgrade, never crosee my mine that I need one after all these yrs.
3. Is the 5th port really useful? You have to find it out yourself because I don't.
4. Apeks is dead easy to service. The only issue is obtaining the service kit. No such problem for me, fortunately.

I think it's pretty obvious from the support I've seen that I really couldn't go wrong with the Apeks. My research of what's available and serviceable from my LDS in my price range lead me through the Apex xtx50, Aqualung legend (meh), Scubapro mk25/combo (meh), or Zeagle F8. The Apex xtx50 or Zeagle F8 will cost me about the exact same. I've been very intrigueled by the Zeagle for a few reasons.

Smaller/lighter first stage with a slick looking black finish.

About 300g lighter than the Apeks and I believe that spec is before adding the octo.

In my quest for interweb knowledge the Apeks fanboys always won except when put up against Zeagle flatheads where I've seen lots of Zeagle support.

Considering atomic regularly wins notoriety for great regulators and they just redesigned the F8, I'm very intrigued by it...I just haven't been able to find much if any user info on them.

I'd love to hear from any F8 or even F7 owners and would be cool to see a side by side photo of the two sets because there is nowhere for me to checkout both.

Back
Top Bottom