Apeks XTX Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought mine from Phil from Dive Sports who posted above and give my vote of confidence to his shop for exceptional customer service. Thanks again Phil!

I can't compare it to other Apeks models since i never tried any other but i directly compared it to friends' Mares Abyss, Scubapro R390 and G250HP. IMHO, YMMV and all other caveats, it is way better than any of those. I liked the HP which delivered huge amounts of air but was nowhere near the smoothness of the XTX200. I don't know if others who have used it will agree with me, but after a little while you sort of forget it's there!

I also use the wide exhaust tee on the 200 but i use the short version on my XTX50 octo.

Also as a way of comparison to other regs, it comes with the Comfobite that some people don't like (some say it even makes them gag) but i loved it from the first try, i barely bite down on it and it doesn't move at all.

Check the British Apeks website posted by Vie, there is a brand new review of the XTX50 from Diver magazine which suggests that the XTX is an improvement over the ATX.

Hope this is helpful.

dandrian:
I am looking at these also. Here is what I have learned so far. Basically the same performance as the ATX series but couple of different features. First, the pressure hose is reversable and second you can change the exhaust ports. Other than that the shop I am working with was told that they are basically the same as the ATX's. One negative is that unlike the ATX series which you can mix and match 1st and 2nd stages, the XTX series is only available as it reads on the website. (for now at least)

Out of curiosity, what kind of price did you get for a XTX 200 setup??

Thanks
David

...well, I paid list ($ 695 ) at one my my LDS's , but the octo is worth almost $ 200, which I'm getting free with the Apeks factory promotion. This particular shop didn't stock the new regs, but both DIN and Yoke versions are in stock at the distributor, with shipping time, the delivery time is a week, which is plenty fast.

Some might say I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but this shop treats me extremely well, and has been very helpful in helping me set up my scuba gear with LOTS of custom modifications, and aiding me in solving many gear problems/adjustments over the years, moreover, they are EXTREMELY good technicians, are are able to tune/adjust/rebuild regs, etc. to perfection...one more than one occassion I've had them straighten out regs 'annualed' at other shops because they're so good at their profession. (I've had to have my Poseidon Jetstreams/ Mares regs serviced eslewhere as my favorite shop used to, but no longer, sells Mares/Poseidon gear, so they're very good at servicing those regs, but unfortunately are no longer 'official' dealers for those 2 brands.)

Karl

I'm familiar with the ATX-200, since my wife and I dive them. As far as I can tell, the differences between the ATX and XTX series are fairly trivial and cosmetic (1/2" port aside).

Here's my take on Apeks: we got our then-10 year-old at AT20, the "bottom-of-the-line" reg, since we weren't sure if he'd really stick with diving. (He has.) I've dived his reg several times. At least at recreational depths of up to 125 feet, the AT20 is a pretty sweet regulator. I slightly prefer the adjustable cracking pressure and heat exchanger for cold-water diving on the "higher" second stages and the environmentally dry sealed first stage, but these are quibbles. Any company whose "bargain" reg is that good is one to be reckoned with.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the new front covers and don't like the new stripey yoke knobs at all.

Well, I just dropped (a lot) of dimes on 2 XTX 200's. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't order them with DS4's right off but I will try the new first stages for a while. If I don't like them as well I can easily get the DS4's separately.

I purchased mine through TDL (Tech Diving Limited). The person to ask for is Randy and he has been a big help both as a sales person and giving solid advice on the technicial aspects of diving. The price was very fair also. Mention that you are a member of ScubaBoard though.....it gives you a discount.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom