Apeks trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fra-zzr

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, wondered if anyone can give me a hand here.

Have been using a set of ds4s / atx50's for a year or so, and just this morning i had some trouble. After a totally normal dive with no trouble, my inflator hose was leaking air out the inflator side. Then after removing the drysuit hose from the inflator it was leaking aswell!

So its unlikely to be both hoses that are to blame, as one only has 2 dives on it and seeing as there was no debris visible in either, they are unlikely to have failed in the same way at the same time.

Which points to the 1st stage. I would be surprised if it was high intermediate pressure as my primary 2nd stage is set quite finely and would most likely freeflow with any rise in IP.

Can anyone give me some advice? What should i be looking for?

Thanks

Fraser

If the inflator hoses are leaking with nothing attached it points to a schrader (tyre) valve problem as the most likley cause....though it does does seem unusual that both would fail at the same time.
I believe that schraders are "up stream" valves and wouldn't leak with a high IP.

You might have a problem with some dirt or debris in your kit. A schradder valve would be a good place for it to get caught.

I believe that schraders are "up stream" valves and wouldn't leak with a high IP.

Eventually they will with enough of an IP spike, but I would imagine even balanced 2nd stages with downstream bias would start to flow long before and thus relieve the pressure build up. I have personally seen, though, a sudden blast of air at both 2nds and the inflator. That wouldn't be so good at depth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom