Apeks second stage exhaust valve sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
When I last hooked up my reg set, I found that I could inhale easily, but was unable to exhale with ease. Only with a forced exhale was I able to clear the reg. Since then, the regulator seems fine, with no problems. Any ideas what caused this, and what type of servicing, if any, this reg might require?

Your exhaust diaphragm was sticking.
Best way to keep that from happening is to dive more often. :wink:
Lacking that, a better rinsing never hurt.
In the "old days" the diaphragms were made out of rubber, which would deteriorate & get gummy. A shot of silicone would bring new life to them, but with the advent of silicone diaphragms, the critters gained a much longer lifespan.

Mine have gotten sticky on occasion.. usually when I don't dive often enough.

One good exhale pops em out. This has also happened regularly on other brands that I've owned.

tbg:
When I last hooked up my reg set, I found that I could inhale easily, but was unable to exhale with ease. Only with a forced exhale was I able to clear the reg. Since then, the regulator seems fine, with no problems. Any ideas what caused this, and what type of servicing, if any, this reg might require?

Usually caused by contaminants in the water which weren't removed when rinsing your gear (fine silt and mud, algea, petroleum).
1. Rinse your 2nd stage thoroughly after your weekend of diving.
2. You can remove the film that cause the exhaust diaphragm to stick by rinsing your second stage in hot dishwashing water (don't depress the purge button unless your reg is under pressure). If you can, remove the plate cover and the exhaust mustaches, clean your exhaust diaphragm by rubbing it between your fingers (mechanical cleaning) and the inside of your 2nd stage and parts with an old tooth brush, in the dishwashing water. This is something that should also be done anually by your LDS.

My 2¢

If you have to resort to the detergent rinse, avoid getting the solution much beyond the exhaust valve. It will also remove the good lubricants on o-rings.

tbg:

This is not a problem, as it occurs frequently. Seldom do my regs not need a little "puff" to unseat the valve after storage.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom