Apeks Rk3, dive rite xt, or deep 6 eddys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Blaylock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im in the market for for a new set of fins. I currently use the sherwood tritons, and like them except that they are too positively buoyant. I have tried the hollis f1s, and found those too heavy. Can someone give advice on either the dive rite xts, apeks rk3s, or the deep 6 eddys?

Jets, the eddys are also buoyant, rk may feel close to the tritons which are really nice fins.

I have both the tritons and the rk3. They are very close in buoyancy, but the tritons feel much softer. I have both for sale.

I've got what you could call chicken legs (5'8" 160) and like a stiff light fin. I've been in Eddy fins since they were released, OMS slipstreams before that. I tried Rk3s when we first go them in stock (Though not in the HD version) students love them, they are comfortable in the water, but I find the power is lacking for me.

The Dive Rites are pretty neutral, and I like them for the longer, stiffer fin, as well as the longer foot pocket. I never felt comfortable in Jets, but I know many that are.

I have used Eddy and Dive Rite. I prefer Eddy. The Dive Rite has a longer blade and gets you further if you were doing a typical flutter kick but it is not a technical fin that gave me optimal control. Back kick was better in Eddy and if precision in the water is your goal, like back fin and helicopter turns than Eddy wins. If you want to cover more distance in the same kick forward than Dive Rite has a little more forward push in it but underwater exploration is not a race so my vote goes to Deep6 Eddy.

I can't speak for the eddys, but for the Apeks, i found them too floppy and soft. Felt like not having proper push.

I've used both RK3 and DR XT as well as other countless "popular" fins. My wetsuit fin of choice is the XT, slightly negative but not F1 rock heavy. I like stiff blades, I wear a small in most fins which usually have a tiny blade surface. I wear a medium XT which by comparison has a large blade surface. I'm a size 7 men's, just. I predominantly frog kick.

After some dive, I'm really liking the new Saeko fins (poseidon triton copy).
Nice push, and no cramps. And the foot pocket is big enough to fit a rockboot in the future.

I will don't change my wet suit Scubapro Go Sports, but for winter and drysuit diving, these fins are awesome

Back
Top Bottom