Apeks regs and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After purchasing an ATX40/ATX40 combo for my fiance I was a bit let down (only a bit due to the deal I got). The owners manual said that it was not to be used with nitrox. Many people said it was not an issue, but I was going to take it in for what ever it needed to be properly prepared for nitrox. Then about 5 minutes ago I was reading a few things on the Apeks website and noticed that all ATX and TX regulators were approved for nitrox. Thats a relief to me, but why would their webiste differ from their owners manual?

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
After purchasing an ATX40/ATX40 combo for my fiance I was a bit let down (only a bit due to the deal I got). The owners manual said that it was not to be used with nitrox. Many people said it was not an issue, but I was going to take it in for what ever it needed to be properly prepared for nitrox. Then about 5 minutes ago I was reading a few things on the Apeks website and noticed that all ATX and TX regulators were approved for nitrox. Thats a relief to me, but why would their webiste differ from their owners manual?

Your regs should be fine for nitrox not exceeding 40%.I have a ATX200 that i use on a regular basis with nitrox.

We're going over the same ground again...but since you asked:-

Apeks regs are oxygen compatible, EXCEPT for the white porous plastic filter mounted on the 1st stage A clamp models.

This compatibility does not mean that they are neccessarily "oxygen clean". The filter MUST be changed for the conical sintered bronze one and the complete reg and any spares used in it thoroughlt cleaned to O2 standards and reassembled with O2 compatible greases.

Does it say on the box that they were assembled for Oxygen enriched air use straight from the box?

You'll probably get away with it but that is YOUR decision NOT mine.

Brian.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
The owners manual said that it was not to be used with nitrox.

cstreu,

If you have a U.S. manual, it tells you that the regs are only good for air (21% O2). If you had purchased the same regulator from Europe, the manual says the regulator is good for up to EAN40. Other threads discuss this. The best guess for the disparity is that the issue is one of manufacturing liability.

If you're interested send me a PM and I’ll scan and email you the appropriate text from the European manual that came with my regs from DiveInn.

With that being said, you have to make your own decision on what is appropriate. For whatever it’s worth, I have used Nitrox in the three Apex regs I own out of the box and haven’t blown myself up yet.

Mike

Waow.............

Strange. I did use my ATX 100 with 40% and all ( luckly ) worked well and yes, I have the white filter .

Guess I will look into it more.

MikeS once bubbled...

cstreu,

If you have a U.S. manual, it tells you that the regs are only good for air (21% O2). If you had purchased the same regulator from Europe, the manual says the regulator is good for up to EAN40. Other threads discuss this. The best guess for the disparity is that the issue is one of manufacturing liability.

If you're interested send me a PM and I’ll scan and email you the appropriate text from the European manual that came with my regs from DiveInn.

With that being said, you have to make your own decision on what is appropriate. For whatever it’s worth, I have used Nitrox in the three Apex regs I own out of the box and haven’t blown myself up yet.

Mike

I had figured it was more of a liability issue for the US. I would have thought that I would have a European manual though since I bought it from Dive Inn. Things should be ok since it will more than likely never get used for anything higher than EAN36.

I remember when I first heard about Nitrox, it was something that I thought was only for technical dives and something that I would never want to deal with. As I gained experience I realized that I needed to dive Nitrox for safety and for additional bottom time, then I needed to learn deco procedures and on and on. Not all divers do, but I did. Anyway, in the begining things that seem simple to others didn't seem simple to me, I just wanted to dive and I hated the smart a$$ comments around the shop about this or that: so you don't know that *all* regs can handle 40% O2. Well, No I didn't.

I have always had a healthy respect for technology that I didn't understand and IMHO, that is safe position. I am glad you purchased a great reg and glad you asked the question about the O2 capability. Be happy and confident with your purchase, it will serve you well and will be nitrox compatible when you need it to be.

In fact most techs tell me that the Apeks comes from the factory cleaner than they can make it while converting to 100% O2 service.

Edit to add:

On page 3 of my Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd (Regulator) Manual it states:

Nitrox Use
Apeks regulators Models TX50, TX40 and T20 with diaphragm type adjustable pressure first stages, Type D Part No. AP0230, Type U Part No. AP0231 are suitable for use with oxygen enriched gases (i.e. Nitrox etc.) providing the oxygen content does not exceed 40%
Warining
This equipment must not be used with mixtures containing more than 40% oxygen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom