Apeks, redirectling the exhaust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an ATX 200 and one thing that bothers me is the exhaust. I find the exhaust to cause my mask to constantly fill. Is there anyway to vent the exhaust a little further away?

Thanks

I have an ATX200 as well as an ATX50.
I've found that as long as I'm horizontal, I have no problems with the exhaust as the bubbles just go up either side of my head, even if I'm looking forward.
If for some reason I'm in a vertical position, the bubbles don't make my mask leak, but some of them do go up in front of my face.... so.... if they're making your mask fill with water (I assume that's what you mean by fill??), maybe it's more a mask fit issue than an exhaust port issue?

Same here. I have the 50. If you have a horizontal profile (ideal for hydrodynamics, buoyancy, and gas management) you shouldn't have a problem.

When I am horizontal it is fine, the problem is only when vertical. I agree that is more of a mask fit problem, I have tried dozens. I have found the best fit with either my X-vision or big eyes but still get the problem when vertical. My mustache (not willing to shave off but I do trim it at the top prior to diving) is the real issue and it is hard to get a good seal at the base of the mask because of it. The exhaust knocks what little seal I have loose and I have to continually clear the mask. Thats why I thought if I could get the exhaust slightly farther away it would be less likely to break the seal.

While I wouldn't recommend trading out your entire second stage, it may be an option if your LDS is willing to order the housing and exhaust tee in, all the rest is the same. So that may work andwill cost alot less. Otherwise I think that the problem lies with your mask. Try shaving a little more off each time until you either get the right seal or have come to apoint where you don't want to loose more hair. The last alternative is the purge mask. It wil greatly facillitate clearing your mask especially since you will do it often.

rescuediver009:
While I wouldn't recommend trading out your entire second stage, it may be an option if your LDS is willing to order the housing and exhaust tee in, all the rest is the same. So that may work andwill cost alot less. Otherwise I think that the problem lies with your mask. Try shaving a little more off each time until you either get the right seal or have come to apoint where you don't want to loose more hair. The last alternative is the purge mask. It wil greatly facillitate clearing your mask especially since you will do it often.
I will try to shave a little more each time to see if that helps. I have also heard a little vasoline or similar substance at the base of the mask may help.

Thanks

Snowbear:
Or if you want.....

I'll gladly do a straight up trade with you.... my TX40 (with wider exhaust) for your ATX50 :D
Let me think about that.................I quess I will pass. Thanks for the offer though. :wink:

I find most regs create problems for me while I am videotaping because of the contorted positions I often find myself in and the exhaust gases being redirected by the camcorder to the front of my mask. I have considered modifying my main regs (all SP G250's) with extended exhaust tees to eliminate this problem, but haven't designed anything yet.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom