Apeks Lifeline Ascend --- Worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Apeks now has a VERY expensive reel out on the market; we just got some in at the LDS I work for & I was shocked to see a sticker price of $329 for the 60m version.....

They are very nice looking reels. Wondering if anyone here on SB runs one, and what their thoughts are? I believe their closest competitor (both pricewise & considering line capacity) would be the Scubapro S-Tek Expedition 330 which has 30m more capacity and comes in almost $100 cheaper.

What do you make of it?

You goin to Mars with Elon mate

We dumped reels in preference of spools for DSMBs 25 years ago and what now people need a fancy reel

1704179895894.png

s-l1600.png

What a mess, and for almost the same price as a scuba tank

Go diving mate unencumbered by other peoples funny ideas

with a spool, a cheap spool, NOT an apeks spool, almost the same price as a small scuba tank, second hand

I was able to pick up one (actually 2) of the Apeks fairly cheap. I wouldn't pay retail for it (though I do have a Kent Tooling version too).

Great to run a hard float (though the $25 ratchet reel also works fine).

The used market is a great way to get cool stuff you should never buy....

It's pricey, but it's incredibly well designed. That said, you can prep a cheap spool pretty much the same way for a lot less.

I'll be honest though, once you've tried one, you'll want one. You can spend your money on a lot of other things though, so prioritize what you should invest in. It's better to invest that amount of money in additional training than in a reel.

I have a couple of Apeks spools and an Apeks reel, but I live in Europe, and they're some amount cheaper over here.

Apeks, a whole bunch of money for what you get. Their pricing is just silly.
I thought you were an AL user Simon.

AL is taking the APEks brand and turning out a bunch pimpified versions and non-standard hardware and calling for mo' money.

Is AL still in business or did they finally go Twits Up?

Disclaimer - I do still like their v.1 XL4 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom