Apeks FSR vs. DS4/DST for twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was going that deep and/or cold, I would take a Poseidon Xstream before I'd take an Apeks....
Can't argue with your decision. But you can't argue that Apeks gone past 300m FIRST.
BTW, who had used Poseidon Xstream to 300m?

The opposite is true in Europe. Outside Scandinavia, Apeks is the preferred brand. And service kits are available in the EU because there is a legal requirement to make them available.

I would still rather buy a second-hand Apeks than a look-alike Taiwanese (or other) made regulator with a US label on it. All of my Apeks regulators were bought second-hand.
The way the air barrel on Apeks XTX second stages can rotate when you tighten the outside nut highlights the best in British engineering. Yes, I do have some XTX stages and they breath very nice but some design features remind me of the Triumph I had.

The way the air barrel on Apeks XTX second stages can rotate when you tighten the outside nut highlights the best in British engineering. Yes, I do have some XTX stages and they breath very nice but some design features remind me of the Triumph I had.

They did improve on this "flaw" with the post 2013 models. The G250 design is the best I've come across in this regard, although you can't beat the 108/109/156 BA, no barel at all, genius.

Happy New Year.

Can't argue with your decision. But you can't argue that Apeks gone past 300m FIRST.
BTW, who had used Poseidon Xstream to 300m?

I tend not to concern myself with ego drive stunt dives that serve no purpose, but yes, Apeks did the first sub-300m dive, hold the current depth record with gabr, but the middle one was on Poseidon. It's not a pissing contest, but Gabr did have to re-tune his Apeks for that depth. If you dive that deep, you understand that it has to be done with ALL sealed diaphragm regulators, and you deal with it. Since very few people are crazy enough to attempt to go below 150m, or stupid enough to go below 200m it doesn't really matter anyway.

Back on track, if you want Apeks, just get the XTX50/DST. Most versatile, one of the lowest cost options, and no reason to spend more money on any of the others. Get the 5th port option though, you won't regret it.

@StefinSB you are not wrong about the Triumph reference.... When I first serviced an XTX series it was about the same time my buddy got a TR6 and we were doing a bunch of work on it. There are definitely some interesting design choices they have made....

Back on track, if you want Apeks, just get the XTX50/DST. Most versatile, one of the lowest cost options, and no reason to spend more money on any of the others. Get the 5th port option though, you won't regret it.
Having been using the same DS4 + TX50 since 1998 for rec and tec dives.
I used the DST only as deco reg, the 5th port serve no purpose whatsoever for me.
I put a swivel on the DS4 for better routing in twin set.

Having been using the same DS4 + TX50 since 1998 for rec and tec dives.
I used the DST only as deco reg, the 5th port serve no purpose whatsoever for me.
I put a swivel on the DS4 for better routing in twin set.

I have a LP swivel on one of the ports on my Poseidon 2960's as well which have the same port pattern as the DS4. It works fine obviously, but would still have preferred the rotating turret . Lets the other LP hose sit in a bit more comfortable position

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom