Apeks FSR vs. DS4/DST for twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all answers. How does the Tec 3 compare with the other models ? Also, tbone spoke about FST: what could you say about it ? It seems like FST would be the way to go but I'm trying to get a broad view here before actually deciding.

It costs more than DST while offering less.
Only advantage would be hose routing, since all ports are located on one side, with left and right hand versions.

Thanks ! And what about the MTX-R first stage ? I didn't consider it at first since it appears to be specifically built for really-cold waters, which I don't dive, but for the sake of completeness I guess some educated opinion would still be nice to have.

A marketing gimmick intended to lure disposable income from impressionable divers.
With XTX100, FST and DST having NORSOK accreditation, I cannot see that there is a real performance advantage there. It does looks cool though. I noticed the hoses can rotate/swivel at the first stage as well as at the second stage, which is actually a nice feature.

The XTX 50 Range are the real workhorse Apeks regulators. They all share the same guts.

Last edited:
@Umuntu all the ports on one side aren't really a hose routing advantage unless you have a need for 3 lp ports to go straight down. I don't really know when that would apply, so the 2 ports on the DS4 or DST is better

The MTX-R's hose swivel at the first stage is just a custom hose, nothing to do with the MTX-R itself. MTX-R is a snazzy looking reg and if you have the money and think it looks cooler than the DST, which is a bit plain looking, then go for it, but performance wise it won't matter and funny enough the XTX actually performed better on the ANSTI anyway...

I use DSTs with the 5th port on my doubles and DS4s for my stage/deco bottles. Routing works fine with each. The Tek3s are nice regs but I dont care for the hose routing either and especially dislike that they are designed as left/right cylinder specific.

@Umuntu MTX-R is a snazzy looking reg and if you have the money and think it looks cooler than the DST, which is a bit plain looking, then go for it ...

I don't dive sidemount, so I can't admire my Regulators while I dive :wink:

@Umuntu
... but performance wise it won't matter and funny enough the XTX actually performed better on the ANSTI anyway...

One advantage of the XTX50 range is that it is sold to a number of militaries internationally. That means spare parts and service kits will continue to be available for many decades, even if they discontinue the regulator.

That is one of the reasons that new Conshelf spare parts and service kits are still available today.

In my "one day I'm gonna dive twin" fantasy, the left and right specificity of the Tek 3 put me off as they obviously cannot be rotated to "even" the wear. No idea how much of big deal that is in reality but bothered me nonetheless. I'd rather first stages that can do double duty, singles or twins.

In my "one day I'm gonna dive twin" fantasy, the left and right specificity of the Tek 3 put me off as they obviously cannot be rotated to "even" the wear. No idea how much of big deal that is in reality but bothered me nonetheless. I'd rather first stages that can do double duty, singles or twins.

not an issue and I don't know anyone that rotates first stages. You can always just swap back and forth to your secondary a bit to cycle it if you want to. I know a lot of guys that will use their secondary every few minutes or do their entire ascent/descent on the secondary.

DST is great as deco reg because of the turret.
DS4 with swivel is as good as the 5th port on DST.
FSR is my preference because of lack of moving part in the form of turret or swivel.
What is the difference between DS4 and FST beside the hefty cost of FST? I dive exclusive DS4 recreationally and do not notice any problem with hose routing even with a long hose.

DST is great as deco reg because of the turret.
DS4 with swivel is as good as the 5th port on DST.
FSR is my preference because of lack of moving part in the form of turret or swivel.
What is the difference between DS4 and FST beside the hefty cost of FST? I dive exclusive DS4 recreationally and do not notice any problem with hose routing even with a long hose.

The FST has two hp ports, and as you know can fitted with a 5th port post 2013. Worth the hefty price over a DS4? Not to me. I only dive singles and the FSR is my preferred Apeks first stage.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly John Bennett was using FST + TX100 for his record 308m dive Nov 2001.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom