Apeks for a first Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockturtle920

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking to buy my first regulator this year. I have started looking around and I am leaning towards the Apeks XTX-50. I currently am a Open Water diver but am open to Cold, Enriched Air, and Deep in the future. My LDS carries Aqualung, Apeks, and Scubapro, so I prefer to stick with those brands. Also does anyone know of upcoming sales? A good reg is paramount, but I'd hate to drop $600 on a reg and then they give a free octo a month later. Thanks for the help!

Apeks XTX-50 is a great first and potentially the last reg you will need until you go to doubles and then you will need another of the same. Talk to your LDS to see what he can do for you, maybe he can give you a decent break on the octo. Don't bother with a compact octo but get an XTX 40 or another 50.

I have 5 Apeks regs. They just work.

If I did it all over again though, would choose a reg that I can "legally" buy service kits for.

My first reg and the one I still use for singles diving is an Apeks XTX 40 with a DST first stage. Aqualung/Apeks had a free octo offer a while back, but It's not currently being offered AFAIK. But if that's the only thing keeping you from buying one, talk to your LDS owner. Specially if it's a regular small shop (Not a super-store type) you may be surprised what he/she may do to tip you over the edge. I doubt they offer you a free XTX40 or 50 second stage, but an egress or something similar may maybe discounted.

The Apeks XTX 50 is a wonderful regulator. If you decide to buy Apeks, I don't suspect you's ever feel like you made a bad decision. I have several of them and I expect they'll last me a lifetime. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.
FWIW, I also have several Atomic regulators. I'd put my Apeks up against my Atomics any day.

The Apeks XTX 50 is a wonderful regulator. If you decide to buy Apeks, I don't suspect you's ever feel like you made a bad decision. I have several of them and I expect they'll last me a lifetime. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.
FWIW, I also have several Atomic regulators. I'd put my Apeks up against my Atomics any day.

Apex was my first reg... bought it in 2000. One and only, get it serviced every year and it's just as good as the day I bought it. Still get compliments... yeah, I got a nice reg. : D

I used Apeks DST's and DS4's w/XTX50's for cave/deep and deco diving for a long time and was happy w/them [used them hard w/'cave' fills and long doubles diving]....But got tired of Aqualung's monopolistic parts/LDS only service policies...Switched to HOG and found they were better quality/less expensive/easier to route hoses on doubles and I could easily get parts [any parts] for self-maintenance...Still have four newly rebuilt DS4's and two XTX50's hanging in an air conditioned closet.......

Can't go wrong with DS4 XTX50+ XTX40octo.
probably the last reg you will buy.

I have 8 of them, and I use them in all condition, deep, cave, ice, scooter. never had a problem with them.

Thanks for all of the input! I have no problem with HOG, I imagine I'll find myself with one sooner or later. I don't know how to service a reg, so I am afraid of buying one that does not have a dive shop offering service near me.

Back
Top Bottom