Apeks First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He-MaN

Registered
Reaction score
Wich one is the ATX 50 fist stage? Is it the DST Type?

Wich one is better? TX 100 or ATX 50? Wich one would you buy between these two regulators? I don't have the choice to buy a DS4 first stage. So I'll have to buy one of these two, that's what I can find here in Brazil.

And if someone knows, what's the difference between the TX 100 and the ATX 100 regulators?

Thank you.

The ATX 50 comes with the DST first stage which is a swivel first stage. The only difference between the ATX 100 and TX 100 are the second stages. The ATX 100's second stage is identical to the ATX 200's second stage. I've heard you really can't tell a difference in breathing between the DS4, DST or TX100 so it probably doesn't matter which one you get. If you want to save a little cash just get the ATX 50 with the DST first.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a difference between the ATX100 and TX100. In fact, I don't think the ATX100 exists... it's just the TX-100.

The TX-100 is better than the TX-50, but it's more expensive. The TX-100 is supposedly a bit easier to breathe than the 50, and a bit lighter too. Also, the 1st stage that normally comes with the TX-100 is better for tech oriented things, but I find it has a bit smaller profile that the swivel 1st stage that comes with the TX-50. But the question is, do you want to spend another wad of cash to go from the 50 to the 100? It's probably not necessary.

Josh

Originally posted by Josh Levinson
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a difference between the ATX100 and TX100. In fact, I don't think the ATX100 exists... it's just the TX-100.

Josh
The ATX 100 does exist, it just isn't distributed by SeaQuest in the USA. You can get it from DiveInn. The first stage is identical to the TX100 but as I posted earlier it comes with the ATX200's second stage.

The ATX50, ATX100, and ATX200 are all using the same basic second stage. The 200's heat exchanger is supposed to be a bit bigger which, theoretically, would make it a slightly better cold water reg -- I don't buy it. I also don't know if the lighter ATX second stage is worth the extra money. I have one coming, so I'll find out one of these days.

If I had to choose between the TX100 and the DST first stages, I would choose the TX100 because it doesn't use the unnecessary swival. I like the DS4 better than either of them which doesn't have the swival or the 1/2" port.

As far as the breathability of the various first stages, I can't tell the difference at depth. The TX100 I have and the TX50 I have are virtual twins. In fact, as I sit here, I'm cleaning them up a bit. I have a TX40, TX50, and a TX100 opened up and sitting side-by-side to each other. They are all basically identical other than cosmetics (with the 40 obviously missing the adjuster).

Take care.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I have one coming, so I'll find out one of these days.

Take care.

Mike
Dude...how long's it been now? :D

Yo, are you confused more, or less? I feel the same way. Look, the ATX is the newer, smaller second stage. The TX is the older, bigger second stage. The mechanicals and breathing are similar. These can be mated to any first stage, especially an Apeks.

The DST is a turret, ("T" is for turret). Remember when I explained to you that a turret is a revolving member? Good. The DS4 does not have a turret. However, it has 4 low pressure ports, hence DS4 means Dry-Sealed first stage, 4 port. If you want a regulator with an A clamp buy the TX50/DST. A 4 port turret is a nice feature. If you need a DIN hookup, get the DS4, no turret but just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom