Apeks finger spool + shipping limitations outside UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the few of you that have been raving over these spools, how do you go with the negative buoyancy? Apparently when you drop them they sink like a stone.

To the few of you that have been raving over these spools, how do you go with the negative buoyancy? Apparently when you drop them they sink like a stone.
Don't drop it :)

But seriously, I have a bungee loop that is attached to the dsmb which wraps around mine thus it won't unspool by mistake. to remove just pull the spool and the bungee comes off. Having it attached to the dsmb mean it won't tangle with you.

You can leave it hanging on your dsmb while you stow your double ender and unfurl the dsmb and all is good.

upload_2018-12-20_15-57-44.png
upload_2018-12-20_15-58-17.png

You can leave it hanging on your dsmb while you stow your double ender and unfurl the dsmb and all is good.
And what about if you drop it WHILE it's spinning around in your fingers? I guess as long as you don't get swept away from the line you can pull it up with that? Just how negative are they, does the line add any buoyancy or is it literally like a stone?

P.s. Thanks for the pics :thumb:

I grip mine between my thumb and finger loosely If it drops it'll drop slowly so you have time to grab it

Recently mine jammed (poor winding of the line by me) so I let it go. The dsmb took it up but the lack of tension freed the jam and it unwound itself back to me. Just as though I meant to do it.

No if you just drop it with out the line attached so it drops rather then unwinds, yup it'll go quickly so most gear

Damn!
I'm thinking I should cancel my order and get a delrin one instead now :(
Why? Delrin still drops. And if it's attached to a smb it's going to unspool while the bag goes up and the spool will drop slowly...

Unless your just clumsy and randomly drop things... :wink:

If the Apeks is indeed cut down from a solid aluminum block (billet) then that could make it way the hell more expensive than anything welded up from some pipe and plate.

If Apeks is like almost any other product that has regional or national distributors, then the US distributor has exclusive distribution rights, the others can and will lose their authorization if they breach that right, and each distributor generally gets to set their own warranty policies, advertising expenses, and retail pricing among other things. That's the way business goes in the global village, any business.

Is the possible extra strength of the unwelded reel worth anything? Depends on how often you need a small step-ladder, I guess. Are the aesthetics of it worth anything? Oh, come one, which one of us doesn't own at least ONE item that we bought at least partly because it looked or felt better than something which would have worked as well?

So...if that one place that says they'll ships Apeks can and does, and that's what you want...business as usual in the global village. Get 'em before Apeks cuts them off.
I am told that the Apeks spool has some significant import duties/taxes on it, causing the significant pricing difference in the US. (No, I don't know any dollar specifics) That is the same reason that there are 5 lights on the Aqualung France site, but they gave up on selling any in the US even though they own the company that makes them.

The blocks on shipping are probably at least partially driven by the legalities around import/export licenses and fees - it might cost you just as much to import if they dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Those forwarders might be ignoring or winking at some legalities, and getting away with it as long as they stay small.

I have a green one, and,now, thanks to you I have do go under and drop it, to see how fast it goes. Thanks a lot! Or, I will, as soon as SWMBO let me to play again, after ruining her hair dryer to make my DS dryer.

Ok, I got my dear as poison spool and have used it on a couple of dives. It does sink like a stone as expected and doesn't really feel any different to use than a $30 one lol
Just another expensive lesson :banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom