Apeks Egress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3ddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Is anyone using the Apeks Egress for an octopus? I am in the market for a new one and it looks like that may be my best choice, I hate to spend the big bucks on a Legend octo(first and second stages are legends).

I've got one and I have been using it for over two years now, so that's got in the region of 600 dives on it, both cold and warm water, and I have never had an issue. I have breathed off it below 50m and it was nearly as smooth as my ATX200 primary.

Mark

I've got one on my Legend LX first stages. Never any problem with it. It does occasionally free-flow when entering the water. No big deal to me, I just turn the mouthpiece down. I like the reg a lot, lower profile and a user can breathe off it in either direction (there is no right-side-up).

Yep, I've got one too, and love it. It lays flat against the chest, and OOA drills are certainly simplified when you don't have to worry about "which way is up" when handing off the reg

I use one on my deco bottle and it works great.. I did have to change out the mouthpiece to a more comfortable one since it gave me jaw fatiuge when I was on deco stops..

I owned one briefly. Its fine for the "normal" octopus-type openwater configuration. If you ever go to a bungeed backup or the long hose system used by tech divers and some rec divers, its not going to work. It depends on your goals I guess.

The Egress is much nicer than the Aqualung ABS, since the Egress is a balanced second stage.

John

Egress it is, just went and picked one up today. I cant believe how light it is. It looks like it should work for a while for me.

I've got one on my Legend LX first stages. Never any problem with it. It does occasionally free-flow when entering the water. No big deal to me, I just turn the mouthpiece down. I like the reg a lot, lower profile and a user can breathe off it in either direction (there is no right-side-up).

My egress used to free flow on entry and I found out it was simply due to where I kept it. Since it's a balanced octo it will do this when you resurface quickly after jumping in specially if you keep it high on your body (like a clipped to a shoulder d-ring) I moved it down lower on my BCD so it remains in the water even after resurfacing.

It will occasionally do this as well while I egress :D the water from a ladder! I tired having it de-tuned but I don't think the tech did it.

Wys.

i just bought one myself, plan to dive it this upcoming weekend. can't wait! (i just got my whole ned reg setup, yay! xtx200 anyone?)

I owned one briefly. Its fine for the "normal" octopus-type openwater configuration. If you ever go to a bungeed backup or the long hose system used by tech divers and some rec divers, its not going to work. It depends on your goals I guess.

The Egress is much nicer than the Aqualung ABS, since the Egress is a balanced second stage.

John

I'v owned & used an Egress for about 6 years now & done many hundreds of dives with it. For the last 4 years I'v used it with a long hose config. as my bungeed secondary 2nd stage when diving singles & occasionally as a deco reg. Works perfectly in these contexts, nice & flat on the chest, no right way up, nice breath at least down to 45mts. I'd really like to hear why you think the above.

For those that say they have free flow problems, it's not tuned properly. Have it de-tuned a little, & I mean a little. It will continue to breath easy & the free flows will be relegated to far & few between.

PS. I wouldn't give 3p for many reg teks out there.

Back
Top Bottom