Apeks DST 5 port orientation on doubles for cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v-v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm setting up a set of two 5 port DST first stages in the classical DIR setup (long hose on the left side, short on the right + two inflator hoses and SPG) on a twin set that I'd use for cave diving (among other things) so I might accidentally hit something every now and then. I'm quite undecided about the orientation of the DSTs to use (the LP part rotates and I might or might not use the 5th ports).

• Option 1: - DSTs environmental seals facing in (5th ports facing out)
    • Pros:
      • no chance of ever breaking the environment seal by accidentally touching a rock
    • Cons:
      • I probably won't use the 5th ports to avoid having exposed hoses coming out
      • shorter short hose as the orientation of the regulator now places the LP ports further away on the other side (and I cannot really switch sides for the long hose as it'd need to be on the (left) side where the valve closes if I touch the ceiling with it
    • Probably irrelevant:
      • eventually the 5th port / rotating LP head could take a small hit
  • Option 2: DSTs facing with environmental seals out (either towards the front, perpendicular or towards the back) and 5th ports facing in
    • Pros:
      • places LP ports more towards the center making routing and hose lengths perfect
      • can use 5th port for more optimal routing
    • Cons:
      • I could hit something and break the environmental seal that I perceive as more easy to damage than the other side of the regulator

Basically, I'm undecided whether I'd prefer to eventually scratch a bit of the LP side of the DST or the environmental seal side (which could break if scratched but is probably not critical if diving in not-so-cold waters) and have a more ideal routing.

I'm aware that it'd be possible to make some protectors for the valves and 1st stages (they're seen often here in Europe) but I'd rather like to hear which side of the 5port DST to expose to eventual scratches in a nice tight setup where everything is mostly protected behind the valves/manifold of the doubles and not exposed except for a small part of the regulator to small scratches in an unfortunate situation.

Do you have any thoughts / ideas / preferences?

Thank you :)

PS. I'm aware I'm overthinking but that's what I like to do

Breaking the environmental seal (as improbable as that may be) still won't hurt your reg function. If you crack that mounting ring clear thru, the reg just becomes an unsealed diaphragm. The main diaphragm is still protected well inside the reg body.
Same thing if you tear the outer environmental diaphragm.

Yes, turrets pointing in and slight down angle. Right side has Long (primary) hose, and 5th port goes a cross to the BC inflator.

Left side reg, From the 5th port supplies a shorter hose to secondary reg on a neck bungee. This crosses from the left post over to the right and brings the reg right around to the front of your neck, held in place w a neck bungee.
Also on the left side is your HP hose & SPG. Also your drysuit inflator.

*only possible downside to this setup is a possible roll off of your left post could go unnoticed since both your primary and BC inflator are fed from the left side. I prefer this configuration anyway, and make it a habit of doing a valve check at least once mid dive, and again if I make any contact with the cave.

I agree with the 5th port facing in option, clean hose routing and no real need to worry about the environmental seal. However, the long hose certainly must come from your right post (as you are wearing the cylinders). If the long hose is on the left and you roll off your left post in a gas sharing situation, the OOG diver cannot simply reach back and open the valve, which is especially frightening if in a restriction (where a post will actually roll off). If the long hose is on the right, this is a non-issue as the donor can just reach back and re-open the left post he is breathing from if it rolls off.

Hello,

I'm setting up a set of two 5 port DST first stages in the classical DIR setup (long hose on the left side, short on the right + two inflator hoses and SPG) on a twin set that I'd use for cave diving (among other things) so I might accidentally hit something every now and then. I'm quite undecided about the orientation of the DSTs to use (the LP part rotates and I might or might not use the 5th ports).

• Option 1: - DSTs environmental seals facing in (5th ports facing out)
    • Pros:
      • no chance of ever breaking the environment seal by accidentally touching a rock
    • Cons:
      • I probably won't use the 5th ports to avoid having exposed hoses coming out
      • shorter short hose as the orientation of the regulator now places the LP ports further away on the other side (and I cannot really switch sides for the long hose as it'd need to be on the (left) side where the valve closes if I touch the ceiling with it
    • Probably irrelevant:
      • eventually the 5th port / rotating LP head could take a small hit
  • Option 2: DSTs facing with environmental seals out (either towards the front, perpendicular or towards the back) and 5th ports facing in
    • Pros:
      • places LP ports more towards the center making routing and hose lengths perfect
      • can use 5th port for more optimal routing
    • Cons:
      • I could hit something and break the environmental seal that I perceive as more easy to damage than the other side of the regulator
Basically, I'm undecided whether I'd prefer to eventually scratch a bit of the LP side of the DST or the environmental seal side (which could break if scratched but is probably not critical if diving in not-so-cold waters) and have a more ideal routing.

I'm aware that it'd be possible to make some protectors for the valves and 1st stages (they're seen often here in Europe) but I'd rather like to hear which side of the 5port DST to expose to eventual scratches in a nice tight setup where everything is mostly protected behind the valves/manifold of the doubles and not exposed except for a small part of the regulator to small scratches in an unfortunate situation.

Do you have any thoughts / ideas / preferences?

Thank you :)

PS. I'm aware I'm overthinking but that's what I like to do

Happy April Fools Day.

Thank you all for your answers, I feel more comfortable now with the idea of having the outer seal/diaphragm facing out/slightly forward.

Yes, turrets pointing in and slight down angle. Right side has Long (primary) hose, and 5th port goes a cross to the BC inflator.
Left side reg, From the 5th port supplies a shorter hose to secondary reg on a neck bungee. This crosses from the left post over to the right and brings the reg right around to the front of your neck, held in place w a neck bungee.
Also on the left side is your HP hose & SPG. Also your drysuit inflator.

Thank you for the detailed answer, that's what I had in mind (love the clean routing) but was puzzled whether I want the seals pointing out, slightly forward in a cave or not. I've also googled images where people had the turrets facing either up or outwards so I was wondering what'd be best for an overhead environment. You helped me clear my doubts and will set it up like that.

Happy April Fools Day.
Why? I am a novice diver (with "OCD") transitioning into tech diving (whatever that means) setting up my first twin setup and I was genuinely pondering about the two possibilities. I might still even consider modeling and 3D printing small grid-caps to cover that part of the DSTs.

Thank you all once again!.

To be fair, there wasn't much interest.

Happy April fools day.......you win.

Ok.. even if this was some attempt at an April fools post, Your coming across as a bit jerky

I might still even consider modeling and 3D printing small grid-caps to cover that part of the DSTs.

If you are really worried about protecting your first stages, you can find the old “cobra guards” Dive Rite used to sell on eBay from time to time.

Honestly it’s pretty much a non issue, unless you are a diving like a Bull in a china shop.

Depending on what manifold you are using, I would be more concerned about a roll off or a random impact to the burst disk.

Back
Top Bottom