Apeks compatible? Ice Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricPhotography92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, so ive been looking into regulators and found that the apeks brand seems to be the most liked, Is it true that the apeks are enriched air and ice diving compatible or is it a specific apeks model?
I was thinking the apeks xtx200 would be a good buy and the xtx20 as the octopus
-eric

All regs, including Apeks, are good for Nitrox up to 40%.

For diving in very, very cold water you want an environmentally sealed 1st stage and as much metal bits on the 2nd stage as possible....for Apeks thats a heat sink.

Apeks 1st stages that are sealed.......DS4, DST, FST and FSR...........none better than the other for freeze resistance.
2nd stages with the heat sink.....all EXCEPT the XTX20.

...........if you are on a budget the DS4 and XTX50 primary and XTX40 Octo would work as well as the most expensive XTX200.

Fishpie has given good information, just to expand a little the XTX50, 100 and 200 second stages are identical save cosmetic differences. The XTX 40 does not have a cracking pressure adjustment knob which in the real world doesn't really mean a lot except you will need a hex key should it need to be adjusted in between tunes/servicing.

For my primary set I went with two XTX50s as didn't want to pay the premium of the 200 just for some shiney chrome. I also went with the FSR (XTX 200) 1st stage as I think the hose routing for single tank diving is a little neater.

The FSR 1st stage has a replaceable crown (HP valve seats on it) which means if the crown somehow gets scratched, likely caused by dodgy servicing, it can be replaced but if this occurs in any of the other Apeks 1st stages they are more than likely toast. To be honest I'm sure how much of issue this really is but other than minor hose routing differences or the turret on the DST this is the main difference between the various sealed 1st stages. The DS4 only has one HP port.

As Fishpie has said they will all breathe the same. I also own a DS4 with two ATX40s and can not tell the difference.

Totally agree with if on a budget DS4 with XTX50 primary and XTX4O octo. If super tight budget you can buy a DS4 ATX40 with ATX40 octo even cheaper which will still breathe the same you will just lose the adjustment knob of XTX50.

If you go with the XTX40 or ATX40 you can add the adjustment knob at a later stage if you desire, I did with my ATX40s pretty easy job but parts were a little exy.

Good luck.

Thank you Fishpie and buddhasummer, great information.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

also what would you price the apeks xtx 200 with the FSR and the xtx40 octo in good used condition

Back
Top Bottom