Apeks can't be discounted > 10%??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have the ablity to get on a military base that has a dive shop you might be able to get the Apeks for a realy good deal!! Well i think that i got a good deal the LDS i go to sells the ATX200 first and second stag for $450 that is the best thy can do for me. Were as i had my father retired army go on base and get the same set up for $300 not tax no shipping need!!! :wink: Just a option if you have those factors in your area and the friend that can make it happen.. just thoght i would let you know

Does anyone know of any links that talk about this issue more in depth? I would be interested in seeing exactly why this isn't considered price fixing, which has been ruled illegal in many other markets in the US.

... is that there is no "agreement" to fix prices.

The way the manufacturers/distributors get around the law on price fixing in the US (which IS illegal) is that there is no mention of any kind of this policy in their dealer agrement, which the dealer and manufacturer/distributor sign.

However, as soon as it is signed, a "policy document" magically appears at the retailer's door, which says, basically:

1. You can price however you wish.
2. If you price below <X>, we will stop selling to you.
3. It is illegal to discuss pricing with other dealers; don't. We also will make no agreement with you on this matter, as that's illegal too.

So basically, they squeeze through a loophole in the law, even though the clear INTENT is to violate the laws against price-fixing.

What makes this dishonest at best is that the dealer knows that this document will be forthcoming as soon as they sign the dealer agreement - you'd have to have a room-temperature IQ not to know it as a scuba retailer, since every OTHER retailer is doing the same thing! Not knowing ANYTHING about the market you are in (or entering) would qualify as terminally stupid in any business endeavor, so the claim that this is not an organized, actual conspiracy (that is, both manfuacturer and dealer know in advance that this is indeed a part of the dealer agreement, even though its not presented that way) rings rather false to anyone with a brain.

In some countries (like the EU, for example) this kind of dance is illegal and can lead not only to civil but criminal penalties - this is where a lot of the "mail order" products come from, because even with the reimporation duties and shipping costs added back on its STILL cheaper when sold at a price that the MERCHANT selects!

I have copies of several of these "pricing policy" and "dealer agreement" documents, and they all look like they were written by the same lawyer - although they are all from completely unrelated manufacturers.

GoBlue! once bubbled...
There is one Apeks dealer in my area, so I made a trip down & found them pricing the ATX200/ATX40 set for $820 (USD).

:eek:

Holy crap!

http://www.DiveInn.com has this setup for $576, plus I believe $20 shipping.

DiveInn IS a local dive shop, by the way, in the UK, and are fully warrantied by Apeks.

My suggestion is to spend $576 on the regs from DiveInn, and then send me the difference if it really bugs you that you got "such a good deal." :wink:

SeaJay once bubbled...

:eek:

Holy crap!

http://www.DiveInn.com has this setup for $576, plus I believe $20 shipping.

DiveInn IS a local dive shop, by the way, in the UK, and are fully warrantied by Apeks.

My suggestion is to spend $576 on the regs from DiveInn, and then send me the difference if it really bugs you that you got "such a good deal." :wink:

DiveInn is based in Spain, which, AFAIK, still isn't part of the UK :wink:

My bad. :)

Man, I've spent a grand and a half in the past month with those guys, and I didn't know where my stuff was coming from... :)

Funny.

You know, when it came time to purchase for me, I knew that someone on here was a DiveInn affiliate... And I did a search for DiveInn, Dive Inn, and even "Go Shopping." (I remembered that signature line, but not who it belonged to.) I spent maybe 15 minutes looking for you... And finally said, "forget it" and just bought from DiveInn.com.

Is there a way to set yourself up so that a person looking for an affiliate on this board can find you?

I really wanted to buy through you...

Bob3 once bubbled...
I'm a DiveInn affiliate, buy from me. :tease:

I'm not allowed to advertise the price, by the way.:wink:

click the link down below.
Interesting....

Are the Apeks 2nds the US or EU/CE versions with regard to the part in the air tube that is different?

Are the Apeks 2nds the US or EU/CE versions with regard to the part in the air tube that is different?
Geeze, got me on that one. If guessing, I'd probably say they were the Euro style, but don't quote me on that. I guess an email would be in order, they take a day or so to answer because of the time difference.
Is there a way to set yourself up so that a person looking for an affiliate on this board can find you?
Got me on that one too, I don't know if the search feature scans the "signature" section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom