Apeks Atx50 or Atx100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfp

Reaction score
I want to buy an Apeks regulator but I am not sure if I should buy the atx50 or atx100. There is not a big price difference but the atx100 is not normally sold in Canada (so I was told) but the store can get it for me. The only difference I could find between the to are:

Atx100 (First Stages – FST)
Solid one piece body

Atx50 (First Stages – DST)
Swivel turret body

Is the swivel piece something that make the first stage less durable or is it cheaper only because of the look? Is the swivel turret useful?

Thanks

I have a DST and a DS4s. I used the DST for singles diving and the DS4 on my doubles. I don't see any real advantage to the swivel function. I would look at the hose routing with the FST and is you are happy with it I would likley go with it if the price is similar.

As I understand the internals on all Apex regs are the same and use the same overhaul kit so that should never be a problem.

The swivel does provide a potential failure point but I have not heard of anyone actually having a problem so I don't think it is an issue.

Gary

I have the 50 and have not had any problems
with the swivel. I dive single tank in
warm waters.

I use the ATX50 and the swivel was one of the factors in my decision to get it. My current impression is that the swivel is not as useful as I thought it might be at first. I only have two hoses coming out of my first stage (BC/aux and reg) so the swivel freedom is greater than on your average setup (~4 hoses). My BC hose really puts a brake on swivel freedom since it is usually velcro'd close to the the BC's shoulder. The more hoses you hook up to the swivel, the less it's going to be able to move. I'd only consider the swivel feature if you think it provides a little more flexibilty on the exact angles for your hoses, or else have fewer hoses like me.

In using rental setups, I find that the regulator hose gets fairly stiff once pressurized, and when I want to turn my head to one side or the other, I can feel that loop of stiffened hose wanting to torque the regulator in my mouth in the opposite direction of head rotation, especially when turning to the right. It's not all that bad and I'm sure most people are used to it but I find myself clenching my teeth a little to prevent the twisting and that's just not very comfortable to me. In colder water my lips get numb, don't seal well, and salt water seeps in around them if the regulator twists far enough. My point is that the swivel absorbs a little bit of that bending in the stiff hose instead of my mouthpiece. I don't think I'd notice any advantage if I had 4 hoses attached since each hose may potentially exert torque in the opposite direction of its peers and make the whole thing seem rigid.

It's too bad you couldn't actually hook an ATX50 up to your BC, pressurize it and test it out for yourself to see if it makes any difference to you. Barring that, I'm not sure of annual maintenance costs would be greater with the swivel design as opposed to the solid one -ask your LDC tech about this.

jfp:
I want to buy an Apeks regulator but I am not sure if I should buy the atx50 or atx100. There is not a big price difference...

Thanks

I'm looking at buying an Apeks also. The current $100 instant rebate makes them atractive. The word I'm getting from the people at a the shops selling them is that there is no need to buy any Apeks above the "50" as you can't tell the difference under water. If the re-build kits are the same for the 50/100/200 then that pretty much explains it.

I'm trying to decide between the "40" and "20" foruse as an octo

What you are paying for is the angled port placement on the 100 and 200. they halp angling your hoses for both doubles and singles. They do breathe a little nicer. Very little though. Yes all kits are thesmae, however I don't see how it makes a difference for the consumer.

ChrisA:
The word I'm getting from the people at a the shops selling them is that there is no need to buy any Apeks above the "50" as you can't tell the difference under water.

I haven't taken my reg down to the limits of rec diving yet so I can't say much about them being well-balanced breathers - yet. But I do not expect to notice any difference at 130 than 10. Rough seas pre-empted my 130' dive this past weekend or I'd have more to say. The tech crowd around here respects Apeks for being easy breathing down to at least 300'

I don't have much experience with other regs to compare the ATX50 with, but it seems to breathe just as easy upside down and sideways as normal. The Scubapro rentals I've dealt with were quite resistant when breathing in unusual positions, but those weren't top-of-the-line either. I noticed just the slight sound of bubbling as I drew breaths after swimming a while on my side one day with my ATX50, so they aren't 100% dry breathers. A "dry breathing" label appears to be a rare honor in Rodale's tests anyway.

ChrisA:
I'm trying to decide between the "40" and "20" foruse as an octo

I'd go with the 20 just because it's cheaper. My reasoning is why spend extra money for something I can't appreciate breathing with all the time, but I'm sure a buddy breather will! :wink: However, the 40 would be better suited for colder water than the 20.

ChrisA:
I'm looking at buying an Apeks also. The current $100 instant rebate makes them atractive.

Wait a sec.

They are running a $100 rebate on APEKS as well as the Aqualung?!?

Grr, where's my checkbook?

The ATX50 (w/ the swivel) was the first reg I purchased. It works well, though I don't find the swivel to be useful, and I do find the oddball sized primary LP port to be an annoyance. Unfortunately the 200's have the same LP port "problem".

The DS4 is my favorite reg. I like it even more than the 200's I use for backgas. The DS4 is solid, simple, uses standard sized ports, and has no extra bells or whistles.

I see that Aqualung is offering a rebate on the Legend, but I didn't see anything about offering a rebate on the Apeks regs as well. Can anyone confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom