Apeks ATX50 DST vs DS4 Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasweenie

Reaction score
After reading the 1,094,283 posts raving about Apeks regulators, I've decided to go with the ATX50/ATX40 setup. The decision I am facing now is whether or not to with the DST or DS4 1st stage. At this point, I think I will be doing primarily tropical diving and have a few questions/considerations:

1) Price- For some reason the ATX 50 DST version is cheaper than the DS4 model at Diveinn. For the ATX50/40 combo, the DS4 is almost $70 more.

2) Availability- The DS4 is out of stock while the DST is ready to be shipped at Diveinn.

3) Benefits- As mentioned, I will be doing mostly tropical diving. If that is the case does it really matter which one I go with? I've been reading that most "tech" divers prefer the DS4...

4) The description for the DST mentions: "The primary port is enlarged for maximum flow." I assume this is the enlarged 1/2" port. What is the purpose of designing it like this? Any benefits?

All that being said, I am leaning towards purchasing the DST setup. Based on the info mentioned above, is there any reason I should consider otherwise? Thanks.

-Kevin

Kevin,

You're sure to enjoy either the DST or the DS4 about the same. The major difference between the two regs is the swivel turret on the DST (dry sealed turret). There has been some speculation on these boards that the swivel is a potential point of failure, but I have spoken to a few Apeks technicians and none of them report ever having to fix a failed turret. My wife uses a DST and has never had a problem with it. The turret is supposed to help with hose routing but I personally don't think it makes that much difference. If I were to do it over again, I would probably get a DS4 only because its a little bit smaller(but not much), but that in no way implies that I'm the least bit unhappy with the DST. Its a great reg and I'm sure you'll love it.
:)

Oh by the way, I believe the DS4 only has 1 hp port whereas the DST has 2 hp ports, if that makes any difference to you.

I have the DST....no problems here....but I also
do not do any tech diving yet....either way I don't
think you will be disappointed

Apeks are solid regulators in extreme conditions - I've switched to Apeks for cold water diving after a couple of freeflows with SP and Mares.

DSTs have the swivel turret, has an extra HP port, and 1/2 port for your primary. The DS4 doesnt have 1/2" port or the swivel turret. The DST swivel is a failure point and apparently, from what I've read elsewhere, one cannot tell breathing improvement in a 1/2" primary hose over the standard 3/8" hose. I have both, the DST, I plug the 1/2" port and use a standard hose size.

A couple of ATX50's, a DS4 and an ATX200 first and second stage.

The ATX50 and ATX200 second stages are virtually identical. The ATX200 has titanium adjustment knobs where the ATX50 has chrome ones (I'm assuming chrome-moly steel underneath) and the ATX200 supposedly has one more replacable component in it than the ATX50 does. Other than those things and a slight cosmetic difference on the front, they're virtually identical... Even in performance.

The DS4 first stage is a piece of art. The ATX200 first stage is identical, but is a slightly different shape which allows the hoses to be "pointed" in the right direction. The ATX200 first stage does have a 1/2" port, and thus requires an adapter to use a "normal" hose.

I personally am a fan of the design of the ATX200 first stage, and feel that it's worth the extra $100. The ATX200 is like "contemporary art," where the DS4 is simply "art." :)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do either an ATX50/ATX50/DS4 setup or an ATX200 (first and second stage)/ATX50 setup.

I've never tried a DST first stage, but I am not a fan of turret firsts... Not to mention that the 1/2" port is something that I feel is pointless and really the only thing I would change about the ATX200 first if I could.

I don't care for turrets because it's one more thing to go wrong, it makes the first slightly larger, and they have the habit of turning, placing your hoses where they shouldn't be (the routing on the DS4 is very nice and shouldn't be messed with, IMHO).

BTW, I like the cracking pressure adjustment on my backup... And thus would recommend spending the extra few bucks on the ATX50 as a backup over the ATX40 so that you have that. It's nice to tune the backup hard so that it won't freeflow, but be able to retune it back to it's high performance setting when you use it. Can't do that with the ATX40.

I highly recommend DiveInn. Great company. I've purchased all of my Apeks from them.

If you don't plan on setting up a DIR hose routing, save $70 and just go with the DST. Use the standard hose that comes with the reg - it's 1/2", just use it as is. Buy a 1/2" -> 3/8" adapter and keep in your save-a-dive kit though, just in case you ever find yourself needing to replace the hose on the spot and only have access to 3/8" hoses. Hoses rarely fail though, so this is a once-every-few-years type situation.

If you aspire to tech diving, you can use the DST as a stage reg. Same for the DS4 reg, which is also popular for backgas.

If you have the cash, spring for the ATX200. Just nicer routing than either the DST or DS4, and a more appealing design in my opinion.

All three are great regs and would serve you well. I've dived the DST and ATX200 - can't tell the difference.

The knobs on both the ATX200 and ATX50 are brass - they differ in the chrome plating. The ATX200 uses a matt chrome plate, and the ATX50 a shiny chrome plate.

Pop the plastic cap off the end of the knob, and usually you can see the brass on the inside of the knobs, which are hollow. The interior has a much thinner veneer of chrome and the brass shows through on some knobs.

AFAIK no Apeks regulator contains a shred of titanium.

That's strange.

You might be right... But here's the hints that I have:

1. My ATX50 has a "cover" on the end. My ATX200 does not.

2. The "cover," if removed, shows a little ridge running around the inside of the adjustment knob... Apparently there to accept the cover. My ATX200 does not have this ridge; it's obvious to me that it isn't designed to accept a cover.

3. The knobs feel significantly different... Even to the touch. The knob on the ATX50 feels cool to the touch, like brass should be. The knob on the ATX200 feels warm to the touch, and feels like it's... Well... Lighter. It almost feels like plastic.

It's possible that this knob is actually aluminum (aluminium for you overseas) instead of titanium, but it definitely does not feel like brass.

Perhaps I'm wrong... But it certainly does feel like a very different metal. you sure it's not Ti?

Back
Top Bottom