Sidemount with two different first stage model ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony28898

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I've been thinking to start SM diving soon and trying to convert my existing gear into a SM configuration. Here's what I have in hand :

BM set : Apeks XTX50 XTX40 DST
Doubles : Apeks XTX50 XTX40 DS4 *2

I read that it will be much better if I can get two DSTs as the first stage because it has a turret,but sadly I don't have two of them in hand. A couple of the divers in this forum also mentioned that having at least ONE first stage with a turret would also be good. Therefore, I hope to convert my set to XTX50 + DST & XTX50 + DS4.

May I know whether the set with two different first stages will cause any problem? Otherwise, will you prefer converting the set to SM with the two DS4 without turret instead? Thanks for answering.

Ryo

No problem using different first stages, so long as you can arrange a tolerable hose routing for the DS4.

No problem using different first stages, so long as you can arrange a tolerable hose routing for the DS4.
Thanks for answering. So - Is it true that having two DSTs will be much better for the set?

Thanks for answering. So - Is it true that having two DSTs will be much better for the set?
Turrets make the routing of the hoses easier. Because the hoses are not the same on the two sides, put the DS4 on the "easier" side, which ever that is for your setup. Two DSTs are nice, not essential.

Hello,

If you are diving with a long hose in sidemount configuration, attach it to the DST. This simplifies routing/storing the long hose on the tank and deploying it for out-of-gas situations.

Best wishes Jens

The short answer is anything works, but almost everything about SM reg setups is to create a nicer experience.

SideMount with identical regs tends to mean they breathe the same, require the same maintenance, have the same parts, same weight, etc. However, I've done SM with mismatched brands, regs, etc, and it all works fine. I notice the regs breathe a little different, and wasn't able to completely to fix that with adjustments, but it really wasn't a big deal.

Turreted-1st stages are also nice, but not required. It allows slightly nicer hose-routing, and is easier to stow or retrieve hoses from bungies, but it's really not a big deal. Same with most other things about typical sidemount regulator setups.

The only real problems I might anticipate adapting standard / random regs, with almost no changes would be the host-length of the SPG and BCD hoses.

Often need one or two LP hoses to come out of the end of the turret for the wing inflate and drysuit inflate. Obviously dependent on the sidemount wing and suit, etc.

With Apeks DST it needs the "5th Port Adapter".

Hello,

I've been thinking to start SM diving soon and trying to convert my existing gear into a SM configuration. Here's what I have in hand :

BM set : Apeks XTX50 XTX40 DST
Doubles : Apeks XTX50 XTX40 DS4 *2

I read that it will be much better if I can get two DSTs as the first stage because it has a turret,but sadly I don't have two of them in hand. A couple of the divers in this forum also mentioned that having at least ONE first stage with a turret would also be good. Therefore, I hope to convert my set to XTX50 + DST & XTX50 + DS4.

May I know whether the set with two different first stages will cause any problem? Otherwise, will you prefer converting the set to SM with the two DS4 without turret instead? Thanks for answering.

Ryo
No issues. DS4 will go on the left since it doesn't need to swivel with the long hose. It looks kind of weird at the surface but fine in the water. I do not really love the use of 5th ports because it forces the first stages to be quite low on the body but most people in Europe are enamored with them. The DST may be worth converting for the drysuit but I wouldn't bother with trying to source another DST at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom