Apeks ARX200 second stage problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm curious about a problem I experienced over the weekend. I have an ATX200 second stage as my primary regulator and an ATX 50 as my backup. I love these regulators...very easy breathing and rock solid.

However, I had a minor problem with the second stage (ATX200) over the weekend. First dive was fine...but on the second dive, I noticed that the regulator was flowing a little air. It wasn't free flow, as it happened out of water. It was as if the purge lever was slightly depressed. Sure enough, I took off the cover and the purge diaphragm was putting just enough pressure on the purge lever to allow a slight flow of air. You could get it to stop by loosening the cover.

Between the first and second dive, the regulator got knocked off the bench and onto the dock...there didn't appear to be any damage...but that is my question.

What would cause such a problem? The regulator has been fine for the last year...and then I start to have this problem.

We adjusted the crown orifice to lower the height of the purge lever to stop the problem...but I want to understand what caused the problem in the first place.

Also, let me be clear on one thing...I am taking the regulator in for servicing, just to be safe...I only adjusted it to stop the air flow and went to my backup regulator.

One thing I noticed, when adjusting the crown orifice is that the purge lever would initially lower, then raise back up (while turning the orifice in a counter-clockwise direction). The same would happen when turning the orifice in a clockwise direction. In the end, the actual adjustment as very minimal...just enough to get the purge diaphragm to stop pressing on the purge lever.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;

John

Edit:The title should say ATX200

Last edited:
A worn rubber seat(AP2034).
You might be able to stop the slight free flow by turning in the adjusting screw instead of messing around with the seat crown(AP2033).

I don't know how old your ATX200 is and how often it has been serviced, but one pretty week point of the Apeks 2nds in general is the connection between the barrel and the case.

If someone is tightening the securing screw to much, the whole barrel can get in a inclined position which means that one side of the lever is not completely parallel with case rim and so a little bit higher than the other part of the lever, causing slight free flow.

Problem is that the plastic support for the barrel is too soft and has too much play, so a one time over tightening of the securing screw can bend the plastic support slightely and give it so much play that even just turning the whole 2nd stage on the LP hose can be enough to get the barrel out of its position in an inclined angle.

My advise, take off the diaphragm and cover and look over the rim if the lever is really parallel with the rim.
Loose the securing screw and tight it again and watch if the screw is not moving the barrel in a slightly inclined position.
Also, grab the case with one hand and the LP hose with the other and turn the hose and look if the lever stays in its position or not.

If the lever is moving right and left, means has too much play, then there is not much you can do but getting you a new 2nd case or turn the case every time it starts to free flow until the lever is parallel again. Good luck.....

I don't know how old your ATX200 is and how often it has been serviced, but one pretty week point of the Apeks 2nds in general is the connection between the barrel and the case.

If someone is tightening the securing screw to much, the whole barrel can get in a inclined position which means that one side of the lever is not completely parallel with case rim and so a little bit higher than the other part of the lever, causing slight free flow.

Problem is that the plastic support for the barrel is too soft and has too much play, so a one time over tightening of the securing screw can bend the plastic support slightely and give it so much play that even just turning the whole 2nd stage on the LP hose can be enough to get the barrel out of its position in an inclined angle.

My advise, take off the diaphragm and cover and look over the rim if the lever is really parallel with the rim.
Loose the securing screw and tight it again and watch if the screw is not moving the barrel in a slightly inclined position.
Also, grab the case with one hand and the LP hose with the other and turn the hose and look if the lever stays in its position or not.

If the lever is moving right and left, means has too much play, then there is not much you can do but getting you a new 2nd case or turn the case every time it starts to free flow until the lever is parallel again. Good luck.....
Ok...this makes perfect sense to me.

I dropped off the regs at my dive shop yesterday and spoke to the manager, so I can't actually test this...but the fact that the second stage was fine on the first dive and then had the problem on the second dive points to what you are describing. The reg fell about 2-3' onto a wood dock...which could have been enough to jar the barrel slightly out of position.

When I get the regs back, I'll look at this and see what is going on.

Thanks for the advice.

John

It's your first stage, your psi is to high which cause the slight free flow in the second stage.

Back
Top Bottom