Apeks 1st stage diaphragm clamp leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now we have two folks with Apeks diaphragm leaks - @Centrals and @taimen !

Makes me want to do a more compete bubble check on my JJ-CCR. Hmmm.
And @taimen 's comment that it happens around the two-year mark isn't reassuring when I'm used to letting a first stage with stable IP and crisp lockup go three years.

I guess there could be more, but I don't perform an in-water check on regulators that are brought in for service until after I have completed the service unless the customer has reported they see bubbles. I don't see any obvious degradation of the removed diaphragms though.

I have a lot of customers bring their Apeks in for the 1 year inspection to keep the Parts 4 Life in place. I do not loosen the diaphragm clamp during an inspection and they all get an in-water check.

This video is after diving last Saturday, leaking at ap1478 diaphragm. A few weeks before a buddy had the same failure.

When I do have problems at my Apeks first stages it's at ap1478 diaphragm or the small o-ring at the din connector.

taimen , can you describe the bubbles? Are they huge, like a loose diaphragm? Can you hear the reg hiss?

This video is after diving last Saturday, leaking at ap1478 diaphragm. A few weeks before a buddy had the same failure.

@barth video describes very well what I am talking about. Of course it is not always that pronounced in the beginning, but definitely a constant leak.
Din connector thread getting loose and leaking from the joint between 1st stage body and the DIN connector is another common problem. Using exact torque and clean unlubricated threads when rebuilding seems to help to avoid that.

I faced the issue with the Din connector leaking after the thread getting loose, this was on a 1 year old regulator that had never been serviced. What made the problem worse was that I tightened the connector when I spotted the issue and that caused the O-ring to rip as it had been unseated from the previous pressurization. Thankfully that particular O-ring can be found in the save-a-dive regulator kit from Apeks.

I tightened the connector when I spotted the issue
Yeah, if you loosen the DIN bolt (unpressurized) first, and then retighten, the partially extruded oring will contract back into place and you can usually get a re-seal as a field repair.

Reactions: Abz
Of course it is not always that pronounced in the beginning, but definitely a constant leak.
Truly don't mean to pick on you, but for others following this thread, ANY bubbles at this location means I'm calling the dive and won't use the reg again until it's serviced.

Just ordered two Poseidon XStream firsts. Gonna swap out for the US4s on my JJ.
I don't need this issue at depth.

Truly don't mean to pick on you, but for others following this thread, ANY bubbles at this location means I'm calling the dive and won't use the reg again until it's serviced.

Just ordered two Poseidon XStream firsts. Gonna swap out for the US4s on my JJ.
I don't need this issue at depth.
Totally agree with this. My son had a total blowout of his reg after noticing some bubbling. Not an Apeks but a clone. The diaphragm let go blowing out the environmental seal draining the tank in what seemed like seconds. To make it worse we were in a shipping channel on the St. Lawrence with a particularly strong current. The resulting bubble apparently lifted the Zodiac we were diving from as reported by the person manning the boat. This was the most hair raising air share I have ever been involved in.

Yes, what I mean is that the leak in the video is huge. I have picked up less evident ones in predive bubble checks. Sort of small leaks that someone could be tempted to "follow" for a dive. Especially if not recognizing the potentially disastrous origin from diaphragm seal.

Not an Apeks but a clone.
For those following this thread, the issue that should concern you is regs with a metal to metal specification for diaphragm clamp "torque".
Without knowing which "clone", we don't quite know if this was a similar inadequate clamping force due to diaphragm variance from spec, a machining error, or a standard torqued diaphragm design that was simply undertorqued.
I don't want to throw all diaphragm regs under the bus. Though I should note that my latest brand new Scubapro Mk19 arrived with the diaphragm well under spec torque (it's not metal to metal). Glad I checked.

Back
Top Bottom