Apeks 1/2 vs 3/8 for primary...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Boogie

I just bought my Apex ATX 40 with 40 Oct this past weekend, and can’t wait to try it. If deemed necessary I might convert the 40 to a 50 by installing the Cracking Resistance Control Knob, but I need to test it various diving conditions first.

In the mean time, I was wondering if and how you solved the “yucky taste” issue since your original posting on scuba board?

Sylvie

blackice once bubbled...
Think I'll take a spare hose with me, and some basic tools so I can change if needed.

It seems that the 1/2 port causes way more problems than it might have been intending to solve.

When I bought my ATX200 and ATX50 from my LDS, I just asked him for a 1/2" plug. I would have happily paid for it but he just gave it to me, I'll bet your LDS would give you one too, its a pretty inexpensive way to build good will. I also have a spare 1/2" hose that I take with me.

Enjoy your new regs, I'm sure you'll love em

yesterday for $5.41...

They're on ebay all the time for $1.98....

I asked about the extra too, but the salesperson said it would cost €20 and told me that Apex is so reliable that I'd never need it. He clearly didn't want to sell it to me, so I didn't push it. perhaps it was just expo stress. I figure I'll pick up up when I return to the store for my VAT refund.

Cioa for now

Sylvie

Our messages must have just gotten crossed, because I didn't see the one about the prices of spare hoses untill after mine went throught.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the euro, the price of an extra hose in Germany is €20 (US$ 23). I suspect is would be aproximately 35-50% more expensive in Switzerland, as most things are. I know that prices are a lot lower in the US but the differential is more than fourfold or almost 12 fold when you compare it to e-bay. WOW. :eek: I know what else to add to my shopping list the next time I cross the Atlantic

Ciao for now

Sylvie

To answer the question about putting the Apeks 1st upside down - I've been running this way for the past year (~100 dives) and am very happy with it upside down.

I recently purchased a port plug for the 1/2" port so that's no longer an issue...

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next time I go diving to try the 1st stage upside down.

I now understand why people like to buy the older Apeks 1st stage....

Sylvie - to get rid of the yucky taste -

Dive the snot out of them. Dive dive dive. Eventually, they taste like whatever you've been diving in. :)

I wouldn't recommend changing the mouthpiece - I don't like the idea of the Seacure mouthpiece for a number of reasons I won't get into, but the comfo-bite mouthpieces are very comfortable anyway.

And I've been diving with the 1/2 as my backup without any problems... but if I were to do it again, I'd get a DS4. Stay away fom the DST - they're a lot bigger and have no real value over the DS4.

My first 1st stage was a DST, but I'll have to agree that the DS4 is more to my liking (I've since bought five DS4's)..

Atticus once bubbled...
My first 1st stage was a DST, but I'll have to agree that the DS4 is more to my liking (I've since bought five DS4's)..
5 !!! wow .. that must be some serious diving.

2 for back gas, 2 for stage bottles,.. and one more ... a 3rd stage bottle?

Cool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom