AOW with cracked rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Jeez, they must be seriously overcharging for that class, if you wanna dive with a bum rib to get that discount. It hurts me just thinking about how you're :pityparty: gonna feel.

I was wrong about the 1/3. It is actually 1/2 I just checked it out. I would save $150 so if the pain is tolerable then I think it is worth at least trying.

spectrum:
That decison would depend on knowing the consequences of failure.

That was the ideal of the post I guess. What is the worst thing that would happen?

I guess it is possible that I could get attacked by one of the large KOI fish that hunt in the waters of blue hole and in defending my life I snap my rib and puncture a lung but I think the most likely scenario is that I have a miserable few dives and deal with a lot of pain.

Safety is my concern. How safe is it to dive with a cracked rib / cartilage? It seems many people have dove with broken ribs which I think is way more dangerous than my condition and survived. Does anyone know of a dive incident that occur due in full or part to someone having cracked ribs?

I was told today that I will have to get a release from my doc to dive after my injury so really from this point on this is more for an informative reason than deciding whether to dive or not. :(

If something were to happen to you that was linked to your injury, the certifying instructor might also have culpability, or at least believe himself open to that. Whether or no he could legally be brought to task, he would still be severely scrutinized.

You may be putting the instructor in a very awkward situation, whether or no that instructor realizes it or not. At the very least, the instructor should be informed well before any in-water activities. And in private.

If you don't tell the instructor until the moment you're suiting up, there is the distinct possibility that he will be markedly pissed at hearing this at such an untimely moment. So if you haven't already done this, do everyone a huge favor and notify him.

There would be a significant danger involved in diving with displaced, fractured ribs (and I don't think there are many people stoic enough to try it). One of the complications of rib fracture is puncture of the lung (pneumothorax), and a pneumothorax at depth is a potentially lethal injury. There is some not completely theoretical danger of a cracked rib becoming displaced with activity or impact and doing the same thing, which is why I think most physicians would say no diving with a nondisplaced rib fracture, either (i.e. cracked rib).

A costal cartilage injury does not have this potential complication. There, you're just dealing with pain and the anxiety related to it, and to perhaps feeling as though you can't get a deep breath.

Archman's point about the instructor being complicit in your decision to dive with an injury is a very good one.

There would be a significant danger involved in diving with displaced, fractured ribs (and I don't think there are many people stoic enough to try it). One of the complications of rib fracture is puncture of the lung (pneumothorax), and a pneumothorax at depth is a potentially lethal injury. There is some not completely theoretical danger of a cracked rib becoming displaced with activity or impact and doing the same thing, which is why I think most physicians would say no diving with a nondisplaced rib fracture, either (i.e. cracked rib).

A costal cartilage injury does not have this potential complication. There, you're just dealing with pain and the anxiety related to it, and to perhaps feeling as though you can't get a deep breath.

Archman's point about the instructor being complicit in your decision to dive with an injury is a very good one.

Thanks. Very informative !

the RSTC medical form refers to arm leg or back problems due to injury or fracture.

Although it does not specifically refer to ribs, the reasonably prudent instructor would require medical confirmation that it does not interfere with range of movement or strength of the individual in question

If you feel your doctor was being to conservative because he is a nondiver, you might try calling DAN (1-800-446-2671) who will be able to give you some guidelines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom