AOW specialty dives, which ones are worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSaipan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I am starting my AOW training this Saturday and doing the deep and navigation dives. I got my OW in October and have 46 dives in so far. My dive buddy and I dive between 2 to 4 times per week. I live in Saipan and the diving here is great, but some of the PADI speciality dives are not possible here (Altitude dive) or sound pretty lame (Underwater Naturalist).

Of the specialty dives I want to do the Night dive, but need help in deciding between the other dives for my other two. My question is, what do you think of the Peak Performance Buoyancy? What other dives are worth while?

One more thing, PADI is the only english speaking option I have so please don't tell me to look at another agency. Plus, my PADI instructor is great. Thanks for the help.

It all depends on what they put into the dives. If there are actual skills added and required and real classroom time to go over stuff like gas management, deco procedures, redundant air source use, etc. They can be very good. Peak buoyancy is good if the lessons you leanr are used on every dive in the course. My feeling is that would be the first dive and include trim because it will make the rest of the dives much easier and useful. Next would be UW Nav followed by night. Then next day deep dive and a real deep dive. Not go to 61 feet or even 80 but 90 to 100 and use some real skills while down there. For example I will pull an OOA and share air to the first stop at 50 feet, then using deep stops and turn it into a 45 minute multi level dive. Next I'd do a Search and Recovery or Wreck. Stuff like boat dive, altitude(for those of us that can do them) are waste because we cover that in OW and if all your dives are done at altitude that is just a lazy way of not having to do any real skills.

If you can get it nitrox.
After aow go for stress and rescue.
Stress and rescue makes you a better
diver and buddy.

Mike

The Buoyancy is a good speciality and I really enjoyed the Navigation specialty. In part of the course we were given about six points with headings and had to navigate the course. As someone has mentioned, I would definitely recommend the Rescue class. The and the navigation have been my favorite so far.

When I did AOW there were no electives: you did deep, navigation, night and search & recovery.

I still think those are four good skill building dives. Why search & recovery? Helps you deal with task loading.

I certainly agree with Jim.

One thing I would like to add is to talk to your instructor. They may be 'better' at a particular dive than the others (usually their preferred) and you would get the most for your money by heading their advice. If that doesn't work, ask for another instructor.

For the record I am not PADI Instructor. The dives I offer for AOW are Advanced Skills, UWNav, Night/Low Vis, Deep, Search and Recovery or Wreck, and A Buddy Skills and Assist. The first and last I created in response to the number of divers who do not have or are lacking in these skills which I feel are absolutely necessary for doing "advanced dives". All my dives have skills requirements and proficiency levels that must be demonstrated to get a card from me. I will not give or sell a card that allows someone to do a dive on the Spiegel or other deep wreck that cannot control their buoyancy, plan the dive and gas needed for it, shoot a bag, or rescue a buddy in trouble. Same for other dives requiring similar "advanced" skills.

IMO, it really won't matter---you're talking about only a couple dives & not much will be obtained from them in the long run.......The important thing is to get the Advance & continue your dive learning experience(s), ie further training.........my 3 cents anyway......good luck & continue diving

depends on what is popular in the geographic area you are in.Also dependent on what you are willing to spend.A photo dive or a drysuit dive is more expensive to conduct than a peak performance or night night dive.Here in NY I find besides the required navigation and deep the most useful electives are wreck,search and recovery,night.If night is not logistically possible or the student does not want to do it,then peak performance buoyancy works out fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom