AOW in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CowtownConch

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am starting to plan a trip for the family to Belize in June (yeah, planning well in advance :wink: ). I was considering going thru a padi AOW program while I'm down there. Can you refer me to anyone to do an AOW program during my week there? I am currently considering staying on Caulker Caye....but that's not set in stone yet.....would appreciate opinions here too.

Thanks
Eric

There are 4 or 5 dive centers Caulker Caye, most of the them will teach ADV OW. I will suggest that you go to the PADI web site and get the email address for the dive center and write to them and see which one you like the best.

If you coming to Ambergris Caye than you are welcome to check us out. We are a PADI 5 Stars Instructor Development Center, and by the time of your visit all our Dive Master will become Dive instructors. Courses run on demend, and we will run a course for one student.

I had the misfortunate to follow a group to the worst dive operator I have ever encountered - at San Pedro/Ambergris Caye. Here's a link to my June report:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=34578

But I also had the good fortune to dive one day with Pro Tech, and I was really impressed. I never expect to find anyone this professional outside the controls of the US, but the boats, crew, management, classroom, etc. were very admirable. I can put up with average, but I was so surprised at their operation that I met Roni, toured his new luxury boat for crossings to Blue Hole, etc. You cannot find better that I know of, and you can check my Profile to see I've been around some.

BTW: It's a good idea to do your Nitrox card as part of your AOW, and Pro Tech is the only provider in Belize. You can get it at other nearby operators, but it comes from PT, and it's also cheaper if you dive at PT. I expected partial pressure blend from welders oxygen, as is often the case in the Carribean, but he has a small factory there. :eyebrow:

DandyDon:
BTW: It's a good idea to do your Nitrox card as part of your AOW, and Pro Tech is the only provider in Belize. :

I think with ref: to Nitrox Dandy Don means on Ambergris Caye not the whole country of Belize as there are several operators around the country that offers Nitrox.

Minor but needed to be clarified

All the best

Gaz

Gaz:
I think with ref: to Nitrox Dandy Don means on Ambergris Caye not the whole country of Belize as there are several operators around the country that offers Nitrox.

Minor but needed to be clarified

All the best

Gaz

Then I was completely mistaken. Thanks for the facts, Gaz! :crafty:

CowtownConch:
Hey All,

I am starting to plan a trip for the family to Belize in June (yeah, planning well in advance :wink: ). I was considering going thru a padi AOW program while I'm down there. Can you refer me to anyone to do an AOW program during my week there? I am currently considering staying on Caulker Caye....but that's not set in stone yet.....would appreciate opinions here too.

Thanks
Eric

If you want sandy beaches or nice hotels you shouldn't go to Caye Caulker. But if you want plain accomodations and a laid back place to hang out, it can't be beat. I loved it. But then again, I'm cheap. Don't miss dinner at Wish Willy's and say hi to Maurice.

I did my OW with Paradise Down. I found them to be a well run operation and the people were helpful with getting tickets to the water taxi etc.

roni at Protech:
If you coming to Ambergris Caye than you are welcome to check us out. We are a PADI 5 Stars Instructor Development Center, and by the time of your visit all our Dive Master will become Dive instructors. Courses run on demend, and we will run a course for one student.

Thanks. I'll send you a PM shortly on this.

Cheers
Eric

LeFlaneur:
If you want sandy beaches or nice hotels you shouldn't go to Caye Caulker. But if you want plain accomodations and a laid back place to hang out, it can't be beat.

Ok, I could definitely use some feedback from folks. This will be our first trip to Belize and there will be a few of us....
Myself - Currenlty OWD and looking to do a few dives and possibly do an AOW while I'm down there. I wouldn't mind using the AOW to get most of my diving in and then spending time with the wife for shore diving and snorkeling.
My Wife - Inexperienced diver that's probably going to only want to do a couple dives (30-40').
My Daughter - 4 years old (at the time of the trip) We'll want to take her snorkeling and play on a beach somewhere. She's a big fan of water and sea life....but not a big fan of waves (bad experience at South Padre Island).
My Mother-In-Law - 50 yo. Former diver (can't anymore) who would be up for snorkeling and laying on a beach or in a hammock with a book.
My Grand-Mother-In-Law - 75 yo. Very active and will want to spend some time on a beach somewhere. I'd prefer some sandy bottom areas where we won't have to worry about her tripping over coral.

We're basically looking for a relaxed atmosphere where we can: shore dive as wanted, snorkel with the family, maybe take a few offshore dives, then at some point going to the rainforest. I'd prefer a B&B atmosphere as I'm not a big fan of commerical resorts. I don't mind inexpensive, but I don't want cheap, scary, or shady. We will only be there for 8 days. What would your suggestions be? ..... besides making the trip longer. :wink:

Thanks.
Eric

Well... given the troup, I'd count Caye Caulker out. It's not really a good place for kids or the elderly. No beaches, a little too rough around the edges. Belize is not an easy place to get around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom