AOW Class Max Depth 65 ft. ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pleased to report that with a little begging/charm, I got the instructor to change the site of the deep dive to one that took us to 90'. I still didn't feel narc'ed and even completed the math problems faster than I did on land (got one wrong, but still!).

I did learn several things from this class. The navigation lesson was something I needed, and going through the 5-dive intensive in one weekend also gave me a great chance to practice in a drysuit and with my new 40 cf pony in the presence of an instructor. Arguably, I didn't need to take the class to continue to enjoy diving, but it was something I wanted to do. I lost count of how many people were surprised I hadn't done AOW yet. I just wanted to check off that bit of training, to officially say I completed the course, and so now I can have the card should anyone require it.

The biggest lesson, though, was how to choose a class. In the future I will talk to the shop and the instructor, if possible, to make sure the class they are offering is what I am looking for. I also feel like this experience has helped me understand this particular shop better -- which in the future may affect my dealings with them, but I'm not crossing them off my list entirely.

Thanks Sam for starting this thread -- without it I might not have spoken up for what I wanted from the class. And DiveNYers, I would still love to go with you guys to the deeper parts of Dutch, if you can stand a non-DIR wetsuit diver with a single tank. :wink:

Meredith aka "Ann" :wink:,

Been out of town for the last few days so have not read back. I've only read Meredith's post and wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS for taking the class and for speaking up for yourself. I'm so proud of you!! :hugs:

And DiveNYers don't care if you're a non-DIR whatever exposure suit diver, all we care about is that you're a safe diver, that you enjoy diving and you like to have fun!!!

Edit: Of course we'll dive the deeper parts of Dutch with you!!

I am pleased to report that with a little begging/charm, I got the instructor to change the site

"Ann" is also an instructor trainer for PADI's "Underwater Begging and Charm" course.

completed the math problems faster than I did on land (got one wrong, but still!).

I think that NAUI offers a math class, if you want to brush up on your calculus...

CONGRATULATIONS, btw...!

I am pleased to report that with a little begging/charm, I got the instructor to change the site of the deep dive to one that took us to 90'. I still didn't feel narc'ed and even completed the math problems faster than I did on land (got one wrong, but still!).

I did learn several things from this class. The navigation lesson was something I needed, and going through the 5-dive intensive in one weekend also gave me a great chance to practice in a drysuit and with my new 40 cf pony in the presence of an instructor. Arguably, I didn't need to take the class to continue to enjoy diving, but it was something I wanted to do. I lost count of how many people were surprised I hadn't done AOW yet. I just wanted to check off that bit of training, to officially say I completed the course, and so now I can have the card should anyone require it.

The biggest lesson, though, was how to choose a class. In the future I will talk to the shop and the instructor, if possible, to make sure the class they are offering is what I am looking for. I also feel like this experience has helped me understand this particular shop better -- which in the future may affect my dealings with them, but I'm not crossing them off my list entirely.

Thanks Sam for starting this thread -- without it I might not have spoken up for what I wanted from the class. And DiveNYers, I would still love to go with you guys to the deeper parts of Dutch, if you can stand a non-DIR wetsuit diver with a single tank. :wink:

I am happy to dive with anyone who enjoys diving, and whose attitude toward diving is one that does not risk getting either of us killed.

... they have DIR in New York ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... they have DIR in New York ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, but not in NJ, it is illegal there.

Isn't that what a scuba instructor is paid to do? To take newbies (i.e. AOW students) into situations that they have not yet been trained for and train them?/QUOTE]

I think that's a dramatic over-simplification and I think you're confused about the AOW deep specialty dive. It is not about getting to feel narc'd or going deeper than you've ever gone before. The deep dive is about dive planning, gas management, 1/3 gas rule, surface air consumption rates, and decompression theory. You can do all these things at 65 feet without sacrificing quality.

@doctormike: Have you ever been to a quarry and have you ever done a deep dive there? Believe me... its not easy diving 'under the right set of circumstances' and they can be far more challenging than anything a Caribbean reef dive will throw at you.

Believe me... its not easy diving 'under the right set of circumstances' and they can be far more challenging than anything a Caribbean reef dive will throw at you.

What conditions are those? Besides low vis (which is not a huge factor at Dutch by my experience) and cold water, what factors? Current? None. Dark? A little but we are only talking less than 100'. IMO, a quarry (especially Dutch) is a very benign site to train. There are few surprises there that you cannot be warned of ahead of time and be prepared for.

What conditions are those? Besides low vis (which is not a huge factor at Dutch by my experience) and cold water, what factors? Current? None. Dark? A little but we are only talking less than 100'. IMO, a quarry (especially Dutch) is a very benign site to train. There are few surprises there that you cannot be warned of ahead of time and be prepared for.

There is no current at Dutch springs? Dam, there goes another [-]excuse[/-] er, um, factor effecting our trim. :wink:

I think that's a dramatic over-simplification and I think you're confused about the AOW deep specialty dive. It is not about getting to feel narc'd or going deeper than you've ever gone before. The deep dive is about dive planning, gas management, 1/3 gas rule, surface air consumption rates, and decompression theory. You can do all these things at 65 feet without sacrificing quality.
@RU4SKUBA: Did the PADI AOW curriculum change in the past 5 or 6 years? The only gas management taught in my PADI AOW class was: (a) your gas will be consumed more quickly at greater depth and (b) we'll initiate our ascent from 100 fsw with about 1500 psi in our AL80 tanks so that we can surface with no less than 500 psi. We did not learn how to calculate surface air consumption rates and use such rates to develop a gas plan for a certain dive. We never broached the topic of decompression theory either.

I would be very happy to find out that PADI has finally changed its AOW class standards to incorporate the teaching of gas management skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom