AOW checkout with Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone

I have a few questions now that I am newly certified. I recently was certifed Open Water and Nitrox and have just completed AOW with Padi. For my AOW check out dives I will be heading down to the flower gardens to check out on Deep, Boat, Compass and Night diving. My question is what can I expect from the Gulf in June? I have heard alot about currents running through the Gulf but really do not know what to expect since I have never encountered one. I hear currents can run from calm to mild to very strong and am wondering what those terms mean in respect to diving. Although I know I will be in good hands with my instructors I am trying to get an idea of what to expect should I run into a difficult current.

Thanks for your help

Jason

I have to ask if you have any experience with currents to date? If not why are you rushing to get out. Currents can be a minor inconvenience or a huge risk of serious issues. Much of that depends on your comfort level, experience, and skill level. One thing I would never do is place any faith in an instructor, AI, or DM to keep me safe. Been there, done that, it's a very bad idea. As a certified diver it is your responsibility to do that. Coming on here and asking about the Flower Gardens is a great first step. Familiarize yourself with the possible conditions. But it is only the first step. How are your over all skills?

Do you have the basics down pat? Is your buoyancy control better than average so that if the currents are a bit stiff you'll be able to deal with them?

Are you generally in good trim? That will be a tremendous help.

Now the flipside. What if the currents are real stiff? Are you going to dive on the word of your instructors or are you going to trust your gut? Guess what the correct answer is? Are you sure you can make that call? If not it might be better to postpone the trip til you get more time and experience. There is no rush to do this. Nothing about diving should be rushed.

I will not allow students into my AOW class who cannot perform all basic skills horizontal and hovering. A minimum of 10 dives post OW and a pool session or a couple easy dives to assess their skill level may also be required. If they are not comfortable in the water and are still working on getting basic skills down, allowing them into the AOW class does them a disservice and can be a waste of time for both of us.

The AOW I teach introduces a lot of new skills that require a solid foundation in the basics. Not having them can result in frustration, disappointment since I do not sell cards they are earned, and a bad time in general.

I have to say that I agree with Jim. I have never personally dived the Flower Gardens but I don't believe there is a lot of "bottom" there, lots of blue water, which can be un-nerving for a new diver. And I've heard currents can do anything out there.

The worst thing you can do as a new diver is put yourself into a situation where, (beyond the obvious danger) you become frightened or unsure. If you have those experiences in the beginning of your dive career, you may end up not continuing diving.

Get lots of time in calm, clear water where your basic skills become honed and instinctual. Don't rush it.

Diving in current can be fun and rewarding. Many underwater critters congregate in currents. Have someone teach you how to move and function in mild current, get used to how your body feels and reacts. I hear SO MANY people talk like current is the mother of all evil. You must respect it and understand its power, know when to get in and NOT get in, understand currents in the local area where you are diving and first dive with someone who is experienced in the idiosyncracies of that particular area.

Take it slow, learn to work with current and you'll have the time of your life...when you're ready.

I have to ask if you have any experience with currents to date? If not why are you rushing to get out..

I think the OP is not rushing to get out into the current, as I read the message he is trying to understand if it's safe to go to that place or it has currents, read dangerous

jcrews5508

Based on your questions and some of the first responders I suggest you speak with your instructor about the plan, including site selection. A deep dive requires water in the range your agency specifies (50'-100'?). A night dive requires ... night and navigation can be almost anywhere.

Sometimes sites are selected for the darnedest reasons including a desire by the instructor to dive the site, providing patronage to a boat owner or to be compatible with dives planned with other students. Ask why the site was chosen and how it relates to your course objectives. Also discuss any concerns related to the site.

As "recently certified" with less than 25 dives have you had a chance to get comfortable making novice dives with peers? Sometimes there is a reason why steps forward are intimidating.'

Pete

Jim and mantagirl have great advice.

I am another believer in diving between OW and AOW so that you can practice your diving skill and more importantly develop your comfort level and where you decide to abort a dive. The skill is to see the dive is headed beyond your abilities and stop it with appropriate action can save your life.

That being said, let the instructor and buddy know your concerns beforehand and if its a bit too much for you, inform your buddy and slowly ascend to the surface, inflate your SMB, and wait for pickup.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Everyone.,

Thanks for the advice. The reason I chose Flowers Gardens to do by AOW Cert is because it will be very similair to all dives in my area. Being that I live in Louisiana, the Gulf of Mexico is really the only place to dive and becasue of that any I dive I make will involve currents. I did do my open water cert in a small spring in Florida without any issue. For this reason I am really trying to get a better understanding of currents. I am in no rush to get into currents, it is just common to all the local sites.

June is a reasonably mild month at the FGB in terms of seas, weather, and temps. Little to mild currents is the norm (less than 1 kt) but stronger currents are always a possibility. By strong, I mean currents that are difficult to impossible to swim into for more than a short time (minutes). Even when such currents are present, they are normally mid water to the surface and the bottom structure will break them up to the point where they are quite manageable on the bottom. When currents are up, the crew will brief you to use the lines for ascents and descents. The lines are your friends. Should you get pulled off the lines, you will be carrying a surface marker buoy and they have a chase boat that will retrieve you (and hopefully your buddy). I would not get too worried about it.

Enjoy.

The FGB would be a great place to do AOW, partially because the conditions are semi-advanced, but mostly because it means you'll be diving there for your first time (I assume) with an instructor. There is plenty of bottom at the FGB, it's only when you hit the edge of the reef that you're on a deep water wall, and of course, on a rig dive if your trip includes it.

Currents are unpredictable there, but as awap says, June is typically a pretty good month for conditions. This year FGB trips may be complicated by the oil spill; last I heard all trips on the Fling were suspended while the boat was in service helping with the clean up. That could be old information by now.

Thanks Everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom