AOW as an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the AOW as experienced diver thread. My post was responding to that but after re-reading your posts it seems we have started to talk about different things.

I'm sorry, but I did started this thread and I am taking AOW and Nitrox at the same time from the same instructor so I'm posting about both. I'll try to be clearer. Although now that I'm done with the AOW course this thread might be over. I do have that last Nitrox class Thursday. Agree strongly with you about diving in the context of AOW. I'm not unknown at this LDS they could have done something but business is business. I got what I wanted out of it.

It'd stretch an instructors' imagination to run an interesting and beneficial AOW course for a diver who'd already logged 1000+ dives... that said, it could be done.

What I like about the AOW course is that it is so flexible - the perfect vehicle for adaptation for the individual diver's needs and interests... and catalyst for development.

What I hate about the AOW course is that so many instructors don't engage any initiative when running the course - thus turning it into the most boring, stagnant and uninspiring training around.
Afterdark should call Ken Skitt (a local Rhode Island Instructor) he's in the book and see if Ken is offering a NAUI Master Diver Course. That would fit the bill.

How much for the package AOW + Nitrox?

$400.00 total plus 2 vacations days $325.00 $725.00 total.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 06:26 AM ----------

Afterdark should call Ken Skitt (a local Rhode Island Instructor) he's in the book and see if Ken is offering a NAUI Master Diver Course. That would fit the bill.

Thanks, but too late. AD has spent all he's going to spend, and I'm done, I'll be getting my AOW card and Nitrox is in the bag.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 06:48 PM ----------

I got an email fromPADI today telling me my card for AOW is being processed " Please allow four to sixweeks for card processing plus mail delivery time.
Visit
www.padi.com for moreinformation." It took less time to do the course than process the card! We'll be 1/2 way thru summer before I get my card.

Reactions: Jax
But you have a temp card to tide you over the 4-6 weeks... :)

But you have a temp card to tide you over the 4-6 weeks... :)

Not yet but I'm going to axe him about that Thursday at the Nitrox class.

I got an email fromPADI today telling me my card for AOW is being processed " Please allow four to sixweeks for card processing plus mail delivery time.
Visit
www.padi.com for moreinformation." It took less time to do the course than process the card! We'll be 1/2 way thru summer before I get my card.

That's an awful long processing time ... is that normal for PADI cards?

I ordered a NAUI card for my latest graduate last Tuesday and it came in the mail on Saturday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds normal to me. The three PADI cards I have all took over a month to arrive.

It's usually a lot quicker than that. But since AD has already received an email from PADI, that means his certification has already been processed. The only thing that takes such a long time might be the production and mailing of the card itself. PADI has a number of processing centers, and for example, if the processing center is in one part of the world and the newly certified diver in another part of the world, the time lag increases. Lots of my students live in Europe or North America, and my service center is in Australia, so not only does it take actual card printing time but also depends on the vagaries of the postal systems of two countries. Add to that the possibility of random holidays when the postal systems are overloaded or closed down, and a conservative estimate for receiving cards by mail ends up being 4-6 weeks. Keep in mind that this prevents people from writing to PADI after a week wanting to know where their cards are. If the card hasn't been received by the 6-week mark, there's a good chance it has gone missing somewhere along the line and needs to be reissued. I've had students end up with two cards in this way when their original card failed to turn up on time but was later delivered.

My students and I usually get an email within an hour of when I send in the certification documentation through the online method, even on weekends, and I assume this is what has happened in this case. We already know that a photo for the card was taken on the boat, and we know that AD has not received a temp card yet, so I am guessing that the instructor sent the documentation in online, printed out a temp card, and PADI processed the cert, but that because AD hasn't seen the instructor since all that happened, the temp card hasn't been physically handed to him.

Yes it does take that long.
I finished my Nitrox course on March 27th, received an e-mail from PADI on April 11th with the link to the online evaluation of the course but I am still waiting for the card.

Back
Top Bottom