Ao Nang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clyde Frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone with any recomended dive sites for the Krabi area at March time? I am going with my daughter (beginner) but any recomendations welcome as I am not.

My wife and I did some fantastic dives in the small islands just off the coast of Krabi (past Chicken Island) a few years ago. We each have done hundreds of dives but greatly enjoyed the shallow reefs for the great marine life and absence of other divers. We got a longtail boat, driver and gear from a local dive and just headed out for a quiet spot. No guide, no worries. Surface intervals were spent bobbing on the boat in the shade, laying on a beach or eating a packed lunch. There are many shops that can take you out this way.

I would agree with Zippsy, there are many beautiful islands around the coast off Krabi. I lived on Koh Phi Phi island for almost 5 years, and there are trips from Ao Nang out to the Phi Phi Islands, well worth a day trip, great diving and site seeing rolled into one.

Have a great time!

Good time to travel, good time to dive. Check out my web site, all the dive locations are described there.

By the way Zippsy, which dive centre rented you the kit? Most divers end up at my shop because most sea front operations will not let their kit, tanks and weights out of their sight!

I was trying to find the name of the place I used in 2006 but I can't seem to find it. Just to be clear though, I oraganized everything through the shop. They arranged the boat, driver, tanks and kit. They trusted the boat guy more than me as I'd have had to pay him off or swim a long way.

Good time to travel, good time to dive. Check out my web site, all the dive locations are described there.

By the way Zippsy, which dive centre rented you the kit? Most divers end up at my shop because most sea front operations will not let their kit, tanks and weights out of their sight!

I have already been on your site and sent a couple of e-mails asking about BSAC thanks for the replies just wondered what others had done as I still have plenty of time to plan. By the way do you use tide tables to plan your trips?

Yes we use the tables frequently. Some sites are best dived at slack, some in one direction. Also the range of the tide can make a marked effect on vis in our area, so it is a good predictor and helps us to choose the sites in advance according to the experience of our divers.

Zippsy. It sounds like one of the shops with their own longtail. Most rent them here for local fundiving, and put a DM on as a guide. Although some are still running them down to Phi Phi at this time! We will get our own longtail sometime next week, we're going to need it with the three boats to serve.

Yes we use the tables frequently. Some sites are best dived at slack, some in one direction. Also the range of the tide can make a marked effect on vis in our area, so it is a good predictor and helps us to choose the sites in advance according to the experience of our divers.

Thanks for the info, most of the dive boats I have used in Thialand leave at the same time everyday so you have to ask the question about current and tide. To my mide I think it is fairly unlightly that it will be slack water for all the dives. I have dived the Kingcruiser in what I would describe as slack Neaps and also with "a bit of a current" Jesus that was an understatment I was like a flag of a pole on the shot and they had taken some fairly new divers in (less than five dives). Now while I was O.K. some of the other divers were I think put off for life.
I do appreciate that the quality of a dive is not just about the site but also in the planning and a little bit of luck. Just the other week I dived a local wreck that I have dived many times and it has been crap for want of a better expression, but we managed to get good viz and perfect conditions and it was one of the best dives I have done teaming with life and shallow so loads of bottom time.
Katdiver you have my vote so far but anyone else is welcome to but in with their oppinion.

Your King Cruiser experience sounds like the very first time I dived there in 2002 from Phuket! Down the shot, hanging on in a racing current, pea soup vis. When we got to the bottom of the shot, the dive guide was lost for imagination for what to do next. Hung around, went up line, safety stop and finish. Those currents are best used drifting on Shark Point!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom