Anyway, I started diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aristotelis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings everyone,
my name is Aristotelis.
Around 10 years ago I got my Open Water cert, but didn't do any dives after my cert, for lots and different reasons.

About a year ago I decided to go back into diving, and decided that the GUE Fundamentals may be a good choice for a refresher course.
Actually, nothing can be further from the truth...

I attempted my Fundies, but couldn't finish it successfully due to my experience level being low.
So now I'm planning to dive a little and I'm aiming for a Tech pass in the summer.

I would like to do a bit of underwater photography, and maybe experience a live aboard in the Red sea.
Rebreather I find interesting, and using a DPV looks like fun, so this is also something I'd like to try.

My life is split between Munich, Germany and Greece, mostly Athens and Thessaloniki.

Many thanks for the amazing board,
Keep on diving!

Welcome to Scubaboard and welcome back to the love of diving!

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself with the DPV and rebreather and such.

First, just dive and then dive some more. It will all unfold as it should.

Fundies isn't easy, I'm currently practicing with my dive buddy so that she can make a second attempt, not just for the sake of passing, but we can see the fundamental skill she needs to develop in order to pass, she is struggling with hovering in trim, particularly during ascents. This is a fundamental skill that once achieved will help her dive more safely & confidently. If you don't have a fundies buddy to practice with, ask your instructor if they know some divers you can practice with, there's usually a community.

Welcome to Scubaboard and welcome back to the love of diving!

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself with the DPV and rebreather and such.

First, just dive and then dive some more. It will all unfold as it should.
Yes, you're absolutely right, I'm trying to keep a level head with all this equipment!

Main priority would be safety though, then having fun, as at the end of the day, the cool factor is not really worth the risk...

Yes, you're absolutely right, I'm trying to keep a level head with all this equipment!

Main priority would be safety though, then having fun, as at the end of the day, the cool factor is not really worth the risk...
The cool factor is being a safe diver who has fun. :)

Fundies isn't easy, I'm currently practicing with my dive buddy so that she can make a second attempt, not just for the sake of passing, but we can see the fundamental skill she needs to develop in order to pass, she is struggling with hovering in trim, particularly during ascents. This is a fundamental skill that once achieved will help her dive more safely & confidently. If you don't have a fundies buddy to practice with, ask your instructor if he knows some divers you can practice with, there's usually a community.

To be honest, right before my fundies (part 1 as a matter of fact) I did the Drysuit primer.

Essentially I was a complete beginner with so many years absence, and that was a fun thing to watch, as I was either like a buoy, floating in the surface watching the seagulls, or like an anchor, completely at the bottom, playing with sand and pebbles and getting bitten by crustaceans!

Complete lack of control of buoyancy, no trim whatsoever (a gymnast doing flips underwater) and looking like the Ghostbusters marshmallow man as I didn't know how to use the drysuit!!
Well, you get the picture!

Overall, a great experience!

Unfortunately my personal circumstances makes it challenging to practice, but there's a relatively active community around my place, and I'm trying to get involved!

Good luck to your buddy, hope she makes it and gets on the next stage!

To be honest, right before my fundies (part 1 as a matter of fact) I did the Drysuit primer.

Essentially I was a complete beginner with so many years absence, and that was a fun thing to watch, as I was either like a buoy, floating in the surface watching the seagulls, or like an anchor, completely at the bottom, playing with sand and pebbles and getting bitten by crustaceans!

Complete lack of control of buoyancy, no trim whatsoever (a gymnast doing flips underwater) and looking like the Ghostbusters marshmallow man as I didn't know how to use the drysuit!!

Unfortunately my personal circumstances makes it challenging to practice, but there's a relatively active community around my place, and I'm trying to get involved!

Apparently there's some decent diving in Greece. I can't recall where my friend said that it was. Hopefully, in your vicinity.

Check out the subforums, you may find what you seek with just a little reading.

Hi @aristotelis! Cool to see that you are back diving :)

May I suggest you two things?

1 - do not think about the tec pass and not even a rec pass; it is ok to get a pass rating, but you'll most likely become obsessed and stressed if you start thinking about it. Just dive, have fun, and practice skills frequently; indeed, practising skills is something you'll never stop doing (or, at least, you shouldn't)... I end almost every dive with some exercises, just for fun :)
2 - if you are so much a beginner and you like GUE, why not take a rec1 course and then a rec2? Although more expensive, if your only certification is the OW, you will learn so many things in terms of skills, navigation and rescue that the content/price ratio will be advantageous for you.

Dive safe :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom