Anything in particular to look for in bands/manifolds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hobodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've decided double up my 2 X7-100 HP tanks, and was wondering what I need to look for in bands/manifolds. This would be beyond the obvious points of making sure I have the right size.

A non-exhaustive example of questions:
Is there any particular difference between different manufacturers? Is a $250 brand name manifold really any different than a $150 no-name manifold? Do the bands need to be stainless steel alloy #xyz in order to keep from rusting to pieces after 2 dives?

These will be used for NE Wreck diving if that matters to the discussion at all.

Feel free to jump in with answers to questions I haven't been smart enough to ask.

BITD Highlands were the standard - still are if you can find the original ones made my Joe. Currently, there are a several mfg that are selling in house bands, TechDivingLimited, Piranha, etc. that are folks seems happy with. The same with some manifolds like Sea-Elite, which I have been happy with.

As a followup, I assume that double o-ring designed manifolds are better?

Personally, I prefer the face seal o-ring style but they require more precision fit of the bands and more skill in assembly. I have several sets of both types.

I've had OMS bands and OMS face seal manifold for years with no problems or complaints.

I have buddies that have the Dive Rite barrel style manifolds for equally as long with no issues.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice both ways. :D

Back
Top Bottom