Anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like some kind of Sea Pen. I read this about them:

When disturbed, a sea pen forces water out of the colony, making it possible for the sea pen to retreat into its bulbous foot.

The ones I have seen before were orange, though...

sapphire:
It looks like some kind of Sea Pen. I read this about them:

When disturbed, a sea pen forces water out of the colony, making it possible for the sea pen to retreat into its bulbous foot.

The ones I have seen before were orange, though...

Sapphire where have you seen them ? I have never to my knowledge seen one before

Honestly, David, I can't remember. It may have been somewhere in the Caribbean, or it may have been in the Seychelles... I will have to check my old log books to see if I can find out. See what age does to your memory??

cdiver2:
What were we talking about. 54 SHHHhhhh

LOL, way older than the 29 I have been for awhile :biggrin: !!

sapphire:
LOL, way older than the 29 I have been for awhile :biggrin: !!

I dont do that, I admit my age, when you look like me you have no choice. But what I dont tell people is that I act like a 15 year old, its not always appreciated :chicken:
David

It's a Sea Pen. Just which species I'm not sure. My Caribbean ID book only shows one unidentified specimen in Tabago. They are rare in the Caribbean. Maybe one of the folks on the other side of the lake can ID it for you.

Dee:
It's a Sea Pen. Just which species I'm not sure. My Caribbean ID book only shows one unidentified specimen in Tabago. They are rare in the Caribbean. Maybe one of the folks on the other side of the lake can ID it for you.

Im not sure, is there a differenc sea pen sea fan ? I was told it was a sea fan, what I found interesting was the fact that it can withdraw into the sand.
I think Sapphire maybe onto something " expell water and withdraw into it's bulbus foot. The foot obviously the below the sand where no one can-not see it

To my knowledge, sea fans are not moveable. They are attached to the coral base. Their structure is also different. Like this...

aad.sized.jpg

Sea Pens has the bulbous foot that Saffire mentioned that they can draw into.

But we know that different parts of the world have different terminology for the same basic things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom